2017 Tahoe Rear Differential Cover, Mag Hytec, hits rear crossmember

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that post and vid isnt to sell any product, just an fyi.

but the info available is eye opening, most think aftermarket is better ( marketing scheme 101)

as in the terms f air filtration...there are filter makers who claim more power...but at what cost to filtration ???? more flow= More power doesnt always mean better for the engine internals.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most have never reported an issue, as they do not use the vehicle as they thought. the stock pan is probably the best version possible, hence the reason why they all look the same.

the flat back does not allow proper direction of fluid Up and Over the ring gear to the pinion bearing, it also creates a shear effect of the fluid as it get pounded straight into the cover, the aeration can lead to less lubrication as it allows excess air into the fluid

i would post a link to a series of videos, but most will take it as a sales gimmick... but if you just watch what goes on...it explains it for it self. Most just go with the marketing ploy sold to you buy the company selling the product.

like mentioned earlier, Ford and Ram both made a switch to aluminum pans around 2010, but retained the curved shape. the axle manufactures probably know what is best from there testing

I get the part about the flow of the fluid but when he starts making claims about how much more in fuel you’ll spend for a flat back cover where they tested vs the Banks cover and he states what sounds like an incredible amount of $447 over 100,000 miles at $3.50 per gallon of diesel... that works out to .0012 mpg. I say that could be a testing data error amount it’s so small. No guy running a diesel , or anybody else for that matter, is going to care about .0012 mpg even if that’s real.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally, i would never consider the fuel side, but if the evidence does indeed lead to bearing failure and down time if the truck was needed daily ( for some it is ), then i can see where this data would convince me.

like i stated, just throwing some info out that gets people thinking. the clear cover visualizes the claim. Just makes one think as to why the axle makers still use a rounded cover, and a specific fluid level.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh God. The banks vids have so many falsehoods in it. The oems do make flat faced finned covers.

the ring gear not only moves enough oil to lube the pinion, they are not designed to fling, just carry like a paddle.
Heck, F1 and other mid engine race trans use the ring gear to pump oil back into the reservoir. And those cases clearly don’t have round shapes.
This had been tested about 20 years ago the last time a company wondered and published. Their findings were completely opposite.

many one can go search sae papers on the topic too.

its 100% a “hey we are introducing a product” ad.

One last thing. When it comes to covers, oems will produce a QRP which is a request for a product and the folks like Dana and sterling know that cost and quick ability to provide a supply (initial and repair) are as important of not more important than quality. Hence most cars built to only last 36k.
Stamped round face covers are cheap and quick to make and ship and store.
Cast/billet/forged aluminum is expensive to make ship and store.

Last, and this does come into account during decision “what happens when mr owner reversed and hits a curb or runs up a pole? Steel cover vs aluminum...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jj88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am ashamed.. but I bolted the track bar to the outside of the axle slot with a longer 1/2" 6" grade 8 bolt and nut. (also 1/2" washers inside the bracket for support)

also, it was taken on a long trip recently and got 21 mpg, mostly highway not much traffic. MPG seems OK, no?

Also a Mishimoto trans cooler was put on, and during the long haul uphill at 77 mph trans fluid hit 198 deg F. Is that normal with an additional trans cooler (no bypass delete, so thermostat turns on at about 190 F I believe). If it hits 198 on a 70 deg day with no towing, what will towing uphill on a 105 deg day be (at about 55-65 mph)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jj88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So a company Spohn https://www.spohn.net/ has a trackbar/panhard-bar that fits the 2017 Tahoe Premier 4x4 with Mag-Hytec 12 bolt 9.5-9.75" diff cover. It has a bend in it that goes around the larger diff cover, and also is clear of the sway bar.

In case anyone needs one of these, even though they are not listed on their website yet (they said they needed to update their website), you call them and order one from them on the phone. This particular one was $211 I believe. see picture. thanks all

SpohnPanHardBar.jpg

OP
OP
J

jj88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
some more pics for anyone's future reference on the topic:

Picture of old panhard bar/trackbar bolted to the outside of bracket, in order to fit around large AM rear diff cover.

Picture of old panhard bar/trackbar on old OEM diff cover.

20210228_174537.jpg 20210220_082641.jpg 20210220_082726.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right