2017 Tahoe LT - anyone know the air bag suspension enough to explain it to me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any and ALL replies are appreciated.

So here's the short version : I bought a 2017 Tahoe LT from Hertz, in April 2018, with 31,500 miles on it. I've heard that the rental fleets get some additional options on the LT's(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). This one is 4x4, and has a lot of options, but not the Mag-shocks that I hear seem to be problematic, so I am assuming its the air leveling suspension.

Here's the questions:

Is this the same type of system like I had in my Lincoln back in 1995? Like it's basically an air pump, that self-levels the vehicle?

Any reliabilty concerns?

Anyone ever modify it to lower their Tahoe or Yukon? (wife isn't fond of the height at bank drive-throughs, etc?

Pro's and cons of the system? anyone ever had a catastrophic failure, or are these things really tough?

I love my Tahoe, but I was pondering this suspension, and realized how little I know about it. So any insight from the forum would be great.

Thanks in advance!!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you go to the gm website, then click on chat, then select "question about a vehicle I already own" then ask them for the build sheet, they will email it to you.
the build sheet will show all the vehicle options installed. they used to put a list in glovebox but now it just a qr code. anyway those codes will give you better idea of what you have.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s kind of like your old Lincoln but if I recall the Lincoln didn’t have springs It has a compressor and air shocks when the module senses a load you’ll hear it come on to level it out. Most folks have very few problems I’m at 130k on an 07 and still working fine. Lowering is fairly simple you use extenders to move the shock mount it’s been around for 20+ years. Do as Wes mentioned to confirm what you have.

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I looked it up, its similar to the Licoln, only better. Problem with the old Lincolns, is that they would blow out with no warning, I was driving a trade-in back when I sold used-up cars in 1993, and the back end dropped into Lowrider mode, like instantly. But it sounds like our trucks have a beefier system. I don't tow or go 4 wheeling, I just am 6ft 8 so need the Tahoe.

I'm guessing that mine should hold up fine, no kids, pets, and non-smoker, people that buy my used vehicles usually are doing pretty well. But doubt I will ever sell the Tahoe, unless a long-range electric large SUV comes out that makes sense.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reach out to Tony (Norcal SS) regarding lowering it ;)
he has a few options available

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if I recall the Lincoln didn’t have springs that could hold it up if shocks failed. If it’s lowered right you don’t lose any function for towing or loading it up. As Jay said Tony is a great source for parts or you can get the on your own. If not doing yourself find a good suspension shop not your average repair shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons