2017 Tahoe LS Vibrating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HelpSlipFrank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
TLDR; truck is vibrating, dealership is telling me it's "within spec and normal." However, vehicles do not normally vibrate like this. Any help?

First time Chevy owner here. In July I purchased a GM Certified 2017 Tahoe with 44k miles. It started off on the wrong foot with me driving home in the car I traded in. They agreed to put new brakes (rotors and pads) on the vehicle, and ended up replacing a vacuum pump as well. The vehicle had a slight shake/vibration to it at that time, so they also road force balanced the tires. About a week later the truck is brought to my house.

A few days later I take it on the highway and it's still vibrating, starting around 45MPH and intensifying until 70MPH, from there it remains about the same intensity. So, I tell the sales guy and bring it back in. This time the service manager notices some scalloping on the tires, says that could be cause of the vibration, but the tires are otherwise good and the problem will likely go away with a few tire rotations. Well, that's not sufficient for me. After about an hour of arguing and test drives with different people, they agree to replace the tires.

On the drive home things felt slightly better. I'm new driving a big vehicle and thought maybe there's some vibration as the tires break in, or something. Well, the vibration continued. On a recent 400 mile trip the vibration was worse and could feel cabin pressure changing, like you could hear the vibration, not sure what the word for that is. The check engine light also came on, throwing a P219A code for a fuel injector.

On Tuesday, I brought it back to the dealership for a third repair attempt. They replaced the brake pads because they were throwing a high-pitch sound with light braking. They're replacing the fuel injector as well. As for the vibration, they repeated their original stance, the vibration is "within spec and normal." I demanded they show me the spec for allowed vibration, turns out that doesn't exist. Also, I have feeling that vibration is no where near "normal" as I've never had a vehicle vibrate without reason.

Anyone else have these kinds of issues with their Tahoe (or analogous vehicle)? Thank you!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Can you provide greater detail on the vibration description?

Where do you feel it? Steering wheel? Pedals? Floor/frame?

Is is more noticeable in the front of the truck, the rear of the truck, or the same all over?

If the vibration is audible, can you make a sound clip and post it here, so the the folks on this Forum can listen to it?

OP
OP
HelpSlipFrank

HelpSlipFrank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
07E34A04-66E5-42ED-BD17-0B8A4AB6A67A.jpegThanks Joe! Here’s the truck.

as far as location of the vibration, it seems to be coming from the left rear of the truck, but I cannot be certain. The truck generally vibrates, as my son can feel it in his car seat in the back (he asked why the truck was shaking). I can feel it in the gas pedal, steering wheel and seat. The vibration is not necessarily audible, but I can feel the pressure changing in my ears.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Good questions from @Joseph Garcia . Also did you get a Carfax, and has the vehicle been inspected by an independent mechanic for collision repair? I would go to a different dealer and ask the service department to print out the entire service history GM has on the vehicle. You want to know if this vehicle has a history of this perhaps back to day one; what remedies or repairs are in it’s past; and of there was a precipitating event like a wreck. Not all wrecks get reported, that’s why you need an independent inspection.

An old school tire shop with the equipment to spin balance the tire and wheel assembly on the vehicle can also get to the bottom of many problems with wheels, tires, or hubs that modern machines like Road Force will not correct. It’s getting harder all the time to find anyone who can still do this, though.

I would also ask if all the rotating assemblies have been checked for runout with a dial indicator. Hubs, wheels, tires, and driveshafts.

The best advice I have is too late for you. Never, ever, buy a vehicle with a problem and a dealer promise to correct said problem. You got the cart before the horse. Tell them you’ll sign and pay AFTER it’s suitable to drive.

Best wishes on getting it sorted. My gut says this is why the previous owner ditched it.

OP
OP
HelpSlipFrank

HelpSlipFrank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Bill 1960 Solid points. I should add that there is minor accident noted on the carfax. Appears to be limited to the front bumper. I've seen the printouts from the balancing they did and it looks good. The reason I'm going back to the dealership I bought it from is due to the Lemon Law, they need be afforded 3 chances to fix the problem. They're on chance 3 right now and I've involved GM corporate.

I will ask about the rotating assemblies. This is the type of information I came here for. Thank you!

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
They can road force balance to perfection but it’s only doing the wheel and tire. If the hub or axle is bent it won’t help.

Vibes are difficult to find sometimes. Also your description of hearing it makes me also consider the possibility it’s turbulent air flow or that‘s a contributing factor. Modern vehicles are finely tuned aerodynamically and if something is done (incorrect front end repair?) you can have turbulence causing noise. Something as simple as a misplaced baffle where the front fender and door meet has been known to create noise. I have a 2019 vehicle of another brand that had a problem with turbulent airflow making noise when it was brand new.

I only mention this because based on your description there may be more than a single issue of one bent part.

OP
OP
HelpSlipFrank

HelpSlipFrank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They can road force balance to perfection but it’s only doing the wheel and tire. If the hub or axle is bent it won’t help.

Vibes are difficult to find sometimes. Also your description of hearing it makes me also consider the possibility it’s turbulent air flow or that‘s a contributing factor. Modern vehicles are finely tuned aerodynamically and if something is done (incorrect front end repair?) you can have turbulence causing noise. Something as simple as a misplaced baffle where the front fender and door meet has been known to create noise. I have a 2019 vehicle of another brand that had a problem with turbulent airflow making noise when it was brand new.

I only mention this because based on your description there may be more than a single issue of one bent part.
Interesting. The sound is quite faint, more like a slight pressure change when the vibration is at its strongest. At times I can hear stuff rattle in the back, or see paper bags "shake" in the front seat.

I picked up the vehicle last night from the dealer who advised that their final decision is that the vibration is "road noise," which I simply do not believe. Yes, they're using the word noise to encompass vibration as well. I'm working on taking it to another shop for second opinion. This is my first foray into a vehicle like a Tahoe, so maybe there's just some differences from my Outback regarding feels and sounds, and if it is in-fact road noise, then so be it, I can deal with it, but my gut says it's something else.

Xsbank

Reaction score
Can you put it in the air and run it in gear?
Tire cupping is either bad shocks or pulsing brakes, if the suspension is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons