2017 liftgate issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pimpinvcu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I just brought home a 2017 Suburban. The liftgate won't open all the way, it maybe opens 4" and stops. I can manually open all the way with light resistance, but get NO popping. I saw all the posts and info on the 2015 having an issue with the spoiler but I see no shims or contact issues. Do you think it's just the actuator? I wanted to narrow it down before I order a part. Are there instructions out there on replacing the actuator? All the videos and tutorials I saw were for the previous gen.

Thanks!

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your truck still under warranty? If not under the original factory warranty, do you have a CPO or extended warranty?

OP
OP
pimpinvcu

pimpinvcu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope. 4k miles out of the bumper to bumper. Is there anyway to find out if the vehicle was purchased with an extended warranty? I think the GMEPP has to be purchased before it expires right?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. 4k miles out of the bumper to bumper. Is there anyway to find out if the vehicle was purchased with an extended warranty? I think the GMEPP has to be purchased before it expires right?

Happened to mine. Almost exactly the same mileage as yours too. JUST out of warranty. I THINK it was a bad piston but I’ll check the paperwork and report back.

J B pdt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I just brought home a 2017 Suburban. The liftgate won't open all the way, it maybe opens 4" and stops. I can manually open all the way with light resistance, but get NO popping. I saw all the posts and info on the 2015 having an issue with the spoiler but I see no shims or contact issues. Do you think it's just the actuator? I wanted to narrow it down before I order a part. Are there instructions out there on replacing the actuator? All the videos and tutorials I saw were for the previous gen.

Thanks!

If you press the button on the key fob or inside the vehicle, does it then go back down and shut? And if you press the button on the actual lift gate does it keep opening up another 4-6" a few times? That's the issue I'm having, so I'm wondering if it is this same thing. I put a post in the general forum, but it hasn't gotten any traction. I'll watch here and also respond if someone responds to that post.

OP
OP
pimpinvcu

pimpinvcu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do a Google search. There is a TSB for the lift gate actuator.

I only found bulletins related to 2015 models because of the spoiler and popping. There was one more related to bad actuators in a few 2016 models as well. Were you referring to another one?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TSB 16046 for the 2016 and a different one for the 2015. You just made a purchase and the Dealer will not repair it. I would talk to someone higher up at the Dealer. If you purchased it from a GM dealer see if they will do a good will repair. You may want to consider an extended warranty as these new trucks are loaded with electronics. There are Chevy Dealers listed in the General Discussion section that offer good pricing on warranties.

OP
OP
pimpinvcu

pimpinvcu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
TSB 16046 for the 2016 and a different one for the 2015. You just made a purchase and the Dealer will not repair it. I would talk to someone higher up at the Dealer. If you purchased it from a GM dealer see if they will do a good will repair. You may want to consider an extended warranty as these new trucks are loaded with electronics. There are Chevy Dealers listed in the General Discussion section that offer good pricing on warranties.

Well I bought it used from a F-word dealership. I got them to take 5k off the price for the lift gate, no floor mats, blown Bose speakers, tires and a few other things. I was hoping it would just be a $130 part.

I've been looking at the warranties to cover everything else for the next 3 years. Might pull the trigger on one when we get our Bonuses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts