2017 Headliner Weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UNFMoose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife and I picked up a 2017 Tahoe LT with 27,*** miles back in July. A few weeks into having it and we started noticing black streaks appearing on the headliner. A quick brushing with your hand makes them go away. The problem is they keep reappearing. My wife noticed that after brushing it with her hand, it leaves little black fibers. Anyone else experience this or have any clue what could be going on? Pics:
Kted5pK.jpg
T5BVOid.jpg

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I picked up a 2017 Tahoe LT with 27,*** miles back in July. A few weeks into having it and we started noticing black streaks appearing on the headliner. A quick brushing with your hand makes them go away. The problem is they keep reappearing. My wife noticed that after brushing it with her hand, it leaves little black fibers. Anyone else experience this or have any clue what could be going on? Pics:
Kted5pK.jpg
T5BVOid.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Do you know if anyone smoked in it before you purchased it? Could be soot.

Do you notice any moisture anywhere that might indicate a leak and possible mold? Unlikely but a possibility

Do you have kids and would they have any hats, bags, stuff that might be rubbing the headliner and leaving marks? I have four kids and when we had a lighter colored interior, random marks would show up as they bumped their heads or ran their hands along the headliner when they climbed into the vehicle.

OP
OP
U

UNFMoose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Do you know if anyone smoked in it before you purchased it? Could be soot.

Do you notice any moisture anywhere that might indicate a leak and possible mold? Unlikely but a possibility

Do you have kids and would they have any hats, bags, stuff that might be rubbing the headliner and leaving marks? I have four kids and when we had a lighter colored interior, random marks would show up as they bumped their heads or ran their hands along the headliner when they climbed into the vehicle.

Thanks for the welcome! No clue if the previous owner smoked in it. There is no smell or discoloration that I would think might be present from that.

I have not noticed any leaks or moisture getting into the vehicle anywhere.

No kids. 85% it's just my wife driving it with no passengers.

We did go camping and thought maybe it was soot from the campfire, but there is zero smoke smell, and the fibers that brush off don't seem like soot or ash. I also remember seeing a streak or two before we went camping. However, it brushed off and I didn't think much off it. Now it's starting to bug us.

Sarah_279

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.
Do you have a sunroof?
If yes, I'm just wondering if there's some kind of trim or wind deflector that has those black fibers on it and when you're driving down the road with the sunroof open (or tilted open) they're blowing in and catching on the headliner. (this might be a dumb theory, I dunno)

It's weird that it keeps reoccurring after you clean it. Where do you park? Does she always leave the windows up when it's parked?

I noticed in the pic the rear vents are open.... did you check inside those? Maybe there's something up in there that's blowing out when the rear climate is on?

OP
OP
U

UNFMoose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi and welcome.
Do you have a sunroof?
If yes, I'm just wondering if there's some kind of trim or wind deflector that has those black fibers on it and when you're driving down the road with the sunroof open (or tilted open) they're blowing in and catching on the headliner. (this might be a dumb theory, I dunno)

It's weird that it keeps reoccurring after you clean it. Where do you park? Does she always leave the windows up when it's parked?

I noticed in the pic the rear vents are open.... did you check inside those? Maybe there's something up in there that's blowing out when the rear climate is on?

Thanks! No sunroof. She currently parks in our driveway and keeps the windows closed. I'll look into the vents. One thing I just thought of that I didn't mention before is that it seems to only be happening over the front passenger seat.

I'm wondering if I just need to take the shop vac to the ceiling and vacuum the ceiling for a while on that side and see if it subsides.

ETA: Even at work she keeps her windows closed.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take it to the Chevy dealer if you are still within the 3/36 warranty. There may also be a TSB for this issue.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
see if your wife has any shoes that match that color...;)

Funny you mention this. We bought a 2008 Yukon XL Denali from a dealer in Clinton, IN back in December of 2017. It belonged to the mother of the guy who owned the dealership. We were thinking "Oh, this is a grandmas car, should be in pretty decent condition." When we got it home and started really spending some time in it, one of the kids mentioned that it looked like there were foot prints on the ceiling that only showed up as shadows. if you ran your hand along the headliner, there were barefoot foot prints pressed into the headliner. She must have been one hell of a limber grandma!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu