2017 Denali torque converter/fluid problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yesterday I purchased a 2017(late 9/23/17 sell date) Denali with 29,700 miles on it. It was a CPO so I have extended bumper to bumper warranty 12months/12,000 miles after the remaining factory expires and an additional 5 year/60,000 powertrain so that will get me close to 90,000 miles. My wife and love the vehicle until we noticed the dreaded torque converter shudder! We have 3 days to get out of the deal if we would like but we really like the vehicle and the extra warranty. The shudder has become really bad in just a couple of drives, if you are not coasting or accelerating it is loud and vibrates through the entire cabin. Climbing a slight grade with the cruise set on 60mph feels very much like running over rumble strips except it come and goes I am guessing as the torque converter goes in and out of lock up?

So here are my questions and concerns;

I am aware and have oriented the TSB but all this seems to reference is flushing/changing the fluid. Is this a permanent fix?

It seems some have had to have the torque converter and or transmission replaced to fix this problem. Why did the flush/fluid change not fix your problem.

Has anyone had the flush/fluid change fix their shudder and it not return,..how many miles on the "fix" currently?

I do not want to have to do a transmission fluid flush/change every 30,000 miles!

There is always take it back and buy an Expedition,...would really like to keep the Denali.

Thanks for any information guys,...been pretty sick with buyers remorse.:(

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it back first thing Monday morning so that the dealer can diagnose it and fix it. While you are there, you may also want to talk to the General Sales Manager or General Manager about your options and the best course of action. Most dealerships want repeat customers.

OP
OP
N

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have an appointment first thing in the morning for a complimentary detail and of course the transmission/shuddering problem will be the first order of business.

I am concerned that changing the fluid is a temporary fix for a permanent problem and if that is the case I would rather invoke my right to return the vehicle within the 3 day window. That is why I would love the hear from some guys who have had this problem and how successful or not the dealership was in fixing it.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have an appointment first thing in the morning for a complimentary detail and of course the transmission/shuddering problem will be the first order of business.

I am concerned that changing the fluid is a temporary fix for a permanent problem and if that is the case I would rather invoke my right to return the vehicle within the 3 day window. That is why I would love the hear from some guys who have had this problem and how successful or not the dealership was in fixing it.

Ask to meet with the GM, tell him you love the vehicle but have a major issue. Ask the GM to freeze the 3 day return policy since there is now an active issue. After he says yes verbally, ask for an email and make sure you get it BEFORE you leave the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I would walk away now, let some else deal with it. Repairs are a hassle plus who is going to pay for the car rentals. If you like the denali so much jump into another one with zero issues.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
‘15 Yukon XL Denali here, the TSB trans flush and TCM software update was performed on my vehicle and it has seems to be a viable fix. Like you I too was skeptical, how could just a fluid flush and software update really solve the shudder of the TC. So far it’s been over 15K miles since the service and zero issues...

CruiseGuy24

Reaction score
Yesterday I purchased a 2017(late 9/23/17 sell date) Denali with 29,700 miles on it. It was a CPO so I have extended bumper to bumper warranty 12months/12,000 miles after the remaining factory expires and an additional 5 year/60,000 powertrain so that will get me close to 90,000 miles. My wife and love the vehicle until we noticed the dreaded torque converter shudder! We have 3 days to get out of the deal if we would like but we really like the vehicle and the extra warranty. The shudder has become really bad in just a couple of drives, if you are not coasting or accelerating it is loud and vibrates through the entire cabin. Climbing a slight grade with the cruise set on 60mph feels very much like running over rumble strips except it come and goes I am guessing as the torque converter goes in and out of lock up?

So here are my questions and concerns;

I am aware and have oriented the TSB but all this seems to reference is flushing/changing the fluid. Is this a permanent fix?

It seems some have had to have the torque converter and or transmission replaced to fix this problem. Why did the flush/fluid change not fix your problem.

Has anyone had the flush/fluid change fix their shudder and it not return,..how many miles on the "fix" currently?

I do not want to have to do a transmission fluid flush/change every 30,000 miles!

There is always take it back and buy an Expedition,...would really like to keep the Denali.

Thanks for any information guys,...been pretty sick with buyers remorse.:(
I had this issue on a 2017. The flush did not fix and dealer said they have never seen the flush fix it. They replaced torque converter and that fixed. That said it does not drive the same. At certain times, usually when it’s downshifts to slow down at a light it feels like rolling over bumps., like the road has grooves. Of course when taking the dealer for a drive two different times I could not duplicate it. Anyway, if I were in your shoes I would take it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think returning may be the best option.

I have always driven/purchased Ford products but my wife talked me into a GM product because she loved the Denali,....I guess this proves "all things that glitter are not gold".:p

OP
OP
N

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wife returned the Denali to the dealer Monday as I was tied up at work. Dealer talked her into letting them perform the transmission update,..flush/fill/software,..and she left in a loaner.

We have driven the Denali all week and have not noticed the "shudder" at all so hopefully this was a successful update. The software must increase torque management as the Denali seems to need more throttle input for the same acceleration but still runs very strong for a full size SUV.

Being a CPO I have full warranty for another 14 months and 19,000 miles and power train warranty for 5 years and 60,000 miles which will take us to 89,000 miles. If this vehicle had not been a CPO with the added warranty I would have convinced my wife to return it but the extra warranty gives me some piece of mind,...it really is a nice vehicle and a pleasure to drive.

dapapa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nitrostick
I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with same problem. Dealer did the flush and software- but the vibration remains. There is a service bulletin from GMC. The dealer is going to replace the torque converter Monday under warranty. Fingers crossed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne