2017 Denali - HDMI is displaying 4:3 instead of 16:9 on AppleTV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steelerfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Apologize in advance as I'm sure this has been covered numerous times. I tried searching widescreen, HDMI & the various screen ratios but none of the returned results answered my question

Let me start by saying we test drove a 2020 Tahoe with RSE & i was able to plug in a AppleTV to the HDMI port & it was awesome. Filled the entire screen (front & rear). Connected to in vehicle hot spot & the possibilities are endless.

Well the #'s didn't work out on the 2020 but that's okay, picked up a 2017 Yukon Denali with only 23K so it worked out...:eek:).

The difference that i noticed when i connected the same Apple TV to the 2017, the screen ratio is in 4:3 mode (black letter bars on the sides). I went into the HDMI settings of the AppleTV & tried all the resolution options & no luck in getting this into a 16:9 format.

Is there a way around this? I can use a different client (i.e. Nvidia Sheild, Firestick, Roku, Chromecast or even USB if that is the answer). I'm a big Plex user so & an Apple fan boy so getting the AppleTV to work is the best case scenario so I can AirPlay to the AppleTV without having to pull over, put the car in park & start the next video.

Heading on our 1st family vacation since purchasing the Denali next week so trying to get this resolved to keep the 5 & 3 year entertained for the car ride, & keep mom & dad's sanity...:eek:)... this was major reason for buying this vehicle having the ability to control the RSE from the main display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh