2017 Denali fluttering when accelerating. VIDEO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jason952

Reaction score
Had the same sound begin after the the trans was rebuilt on out 2015.5, it was a loose exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naz 23 Esky

Reaction score
Picked up a 2017 Denali just over a month ago, been hearing a "fluttering"/rattling type sound when accelerating. I'd say it usually happens at about 1500-1700 RPM... occurs when you're asking for a little more speed and usually stops when at cruising speed.

Dealer said it's the sound of some exhaust valve with the purpose of keeping the muffler quiet... is this normal? Seems too loud to be normal. Video attached.
I sent this EXACT video to my dealer that's been looking into my truck since new. Been painful especially on roadtrips. I honestly wanted to leave the truck when irma hit Florida and we were vacationing down there because it was soooo annoying driving from Toronto to Orlando with that sound. They replaced lifters (upgraded versions) fuel lines some kind of vacuum and guess what sound still there. I love the car but this sound is killing me. Sad part is I'm not sure I still want them to continue to try to fix as I don't think they have a clue where the problem is coming from. I really hope someone has a success story that actually relates to this exact problem and it not related to other problems like the flapper valve ect.

thecodeman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have the same sound on our 16 Tahoe. Sounds like an exhaust leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John878787

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had the exact same sound on my brand new 17 Tahoe. At first they thought it was a twisted ground wire or possibly something with exhaust. It Turned out to be a bad seal where the steering column exited the cabin going under the hood which was allowing engine noises into the cabin from under the steering wheel. When they replaced the seal the sound was completely gone.

Marchant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picked up a 2017 Denali just over a month ago, been hearing a "fluttering"/rattling type sound when accelerating. I'd say it usually happens at about 1500-1700 RPM... occurs when you're asking for a little more speed and usually stops when at cruising speed.

Dealer said it's the sound of some exhaust valve with the purpose of keeping the muffler quiet... is this normal? Seems too loud to be normal. Video attached.
Wondering if you have ever got this resolved? I'm experiencing the same on my17 Denali.

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the exact same sound on my brand new 17 Tahoe. At first they thought it was a twisted ground wire or possibly something with exhaust. It Turned out to be a bad seal where the steering column exited the cabin going under the hood which was allowing engine noises into the cabin from under the steering wheel. When they replaced the seal the sound was completely gone.

Hmm, that's interesting.

Marchant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I sent this EXACT video to my dealer that's been looking into my truck since new. Been painful especially on roadtrips. I honestly wanted to leave the truck when irma hit Florida and we were vacationing down there because it was soooo annoying driving from Toronto to Orlando with that sound. They replaced lifters (upgraded versions) fuel lines some kind of vacuum and guess what sound still there. I love the car but this sound is killing me. Sad part is I'm not sure I still want them to continue to try to fix as I don't think they have a clue where the problem is coming from. I really hope someone has a success story that actually relates to this exact problem and it not related to other problems like the flapper valve ect.

Any update? Mine is headed aback to dealer tomorrow for the 3rd time. Exhaust has been replaced, second time at dealer fuel line replaced (now it’s worse... hear it all the time, even while at cruising speeds)

Marchant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is so strange to me... can't believe they consider this normal. It's really is extremely annoying especially because I spend much of my car travel time during the week returning work phone calls. I can hear the sound fluctuating as I adjust the gas pedal. Frustrating.
Any updates on if the dealer was able to fix yours? Mines in the shop for the 3rd time. They have replaced my exhaust, fuel feed line , and the noise continued. This time they have had it a week with no solution. GM has given them a long list of things to check but haven’t heard of a solution yet.

Marchant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's not the AFM in my case either. I've tried the M5 trick. The sound is there like an exhaust leak when the engine is around 1200-1700 rpm and slight acceleration is applied. And as I stated in an earlier post, this only happens after the engine has reached normal temperature. When cold, there is no sound and everything is smooth. I strongly suspect it's the torque converter/transmission. I plan to take it to the dealer again soon.
Did they find the problem in the torque converter/transmission? Mine is in the shop for the 3rd time. They have already replaced my exhaust, and fuel feed line but the noise continued.

Marchant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any updates with a solution to the flutter noise?my 2017 Denali is at the dealer for the 3rd time. They have replaced my exhaust and fuel feed line. Neither fix stopped the noise. It’s been at the dealership for a week and they called yesterday and said GM gave them a very lengthy list of things to check.