2017 Denali fluttering when accelerating. VIDEO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sjp45066

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm regretting my purchase. Some may say it's a minimal sound I'm getting but I expect a reasonably quiet ride from a vehicle with this price tag.

Any update on this? My 16 Tahoe is now making the exact same sound. Wondering if you have been able to get this fixed. Thanks in advance.

DenaliDrivinDad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had mine in the shop twice since posting my video in this thread. The first time they detected a misfire and replaced the fuel feed pipe again along with the fuel pump.

The noises did not go away. I opened a case with GMC and it went back to the shop again this time with the attention of a GM regional service manager and a field technician.

He said he found nothing abnormal. The regional service manager reminded me I still have the 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty and if something happens they will fix it. Yet, I'm the one that has to live with this vehicle that sounds like a noisy clunker.

Last edited:

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine in the shop twice since posting my video in this thread. The first time they detected a misfire and replaced the fuel feed pipe again along with the fuel pump.

The noises did not go away. I opened a case with GMC and it went back to the shop again this time with the attention of a GM regional service manager and a field technician.

He said he found nothing abnormal. The regional service manager reminded me I still have the 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty and if something happens they will fix it. Yet, I'm the one that has to live with this vehicle that sounds like a noisy clunker.
A misfire should generate a code and maybe the CEL - did you have either?

DenaliDrivinDad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A misfire should generate a code and maybe the CEL - did you have either?

I didn't have a CEL. I believe the misfire may have been detected when they were testing the vehicle during the visit when they replaced the fuel pump/pipe.

DenaliDrivinDad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
... He said he found nothing abnormal. The regional service manager reminded me I still have the 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty and if something happens they will fix it. Yet, I'm the one that has to live with this vehicle that sounds like a noisy clunker.

So after picking the vehicle up yesterday, I noticed it was substantially quieter despite the GM field engineer claiming he only performed diagnostics. I've inquired to the dealership to attempt to determine if an ECU reflash or any type of adjustment was done.

The vehicle still has a few of the same noises, but they are significantly less noticeable and tolerable that the noises I showed in my video on this thread.

I really wish I knew what took place. For all I know they took something apart during the diagnostics and put it back together better. Or perhaps added something to dampen the noises like a missing plug in the firewall. I'm just guessing here. I just hope the thing remains quiet.

DenaliDrivinDad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So after picking the vehicle up yesterday, I noticed it was substantially quieter despite the GM field engineer claiming he only performed diagnostics. I've inquired to the dealership to attempt to determine if an ECU reflash or any type of adjustment was done.

The vehicle still has a few of the same noises, but they are significantly less noticeable and tolerable that the noises I showed in my video on this thread.

I really wish I knew what took place. For all I know they took something apart during the diagnostics and put it back together better. Or perhaps added something to dampen the noises like a missing plug in the firewall. I'm just guessing here. I just hope the thing remains quiet.

It must have been wishful thinking on my part. Today we are at 82 degrees with a relative humidity of 62% and the noises are louder than ever. This powertrain hates humidity.

OP
OP
D

denali17gmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any update on this? My 16 Tahoe is now making the exact same sound. Wondering if you have been able to get this fixed. Thanks in advance.

No real update on a solution....
After contacting GM one of their technicians said the noise was "normal" and that they are aware of the issue.
I asked them which it was, was it "normal" or a known issue? Its really just a way of them "copping out" and I did t feel like fighting this any longer at the moment.
I ended up getting the borla exhaust through another dealer to try to mentally cover up the noise for me and now the exhaust is letting off a Loud rattle. This damn truck is really testing me ...

DenaliDrivinDad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

No real update on a solution....
After contacting GM one of their technicians said the noise was "normal" and that they are aware of the issue.
I asked them which it was, was it "normal" or a known issue? Its really just a way of them "copping out" and I did t feel like fighting this any longer at the moment.
I ended up getting the borla exhaust through another dealer to try to mentally cover up the noise for me and now the exhaust is letting off a Loud rattle. This damn truck is really testing me ...

I gave up and got rid of mine after 1 year. The money and time isn't worth my sanity. No more GM vehicles for me. After 1 year it was literally rattling everywhere and the plastic creaked horribly. Not acceptable for a vehicle over $70,000. The ride grew rougher as time passed and it was very uncomfortable at 9600 miles.

Mine was paid for, so I got a 2017 Toyota Tacoma Limited and a check for my remaining equity. When I took the Denali over railroad tracks I literally thought it or I was going to fall apart. So harsh. The Tacoma rolls over bumps with ease. It is amazing to me that a vehicle that cost 40,000 can feel so much better than the Denali.

I've always preferred the appearance of GM vehicles. They do great there. Customer service, reliability, durability, and quality control, well apparently those things didn't exist with my last two GM vehicles.

Tyler424

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The fluttering noise around 1,500 rpms when lighlty accelerating is totally normal and is emitted when the engine is in V4 mode. At cruising speed, the engine automatically switches from V8 to V4 to save fuel. If you go under the Trip A or B tab on the DIC (Driver Information Center), on the bottom right you will see an icon that tells you when it is in V4 or V8 mode.

Acter listening to that video it sounds like that was a much larger issue, possibily with the electronics and the engine was stuck in V4 mode. Typically the engine would have already made the swith to V8 with that amount of acceleration. Sorry to hear you traded it in.

Sjp45066

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone have this repaired? My 16 Tahoe sounds like it has ping/rattling/exhaust leak type sound when accelerating at 1500 rpm. Only happens after the engine has reached normal operating temperature and the weather is warm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep