2017 Chevy Tahoe Premier 4x4 35k miles oil change, dexros?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jj88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just ordered Castrol Edge Extended 0W-20 synthetic oil which said Dexros on the picture, but do not say it on the actual jugs that came, and have different approvals on the back. Will this be a problem.

I know about warranty. But I doubt this oil is so different to actually cause any problems. But I'm curious if anyone has any information about the difference between the ILSAC GF-6 version (the dexros one) and the ILSAC GF-5 version?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered Castrol Edge Extended 0W-20 synthetic oil which said Dexros on the picture, but do not say it on the actual jugs that came, and have different approvals on the back. Will this be a problem.

I know about warranty. But I doubt this oil is so different to actually cause any problems. But I'm curious if anyone has any information about the difference between the ILSAC GF-6 version (the dexros one) and the ILSAC GF-5 version?

I cannot answer your questions other than saying I have indeed noticed a difference when running a non Dexos oil. Using ACDelco's oil, my pressure is slightly higher and get about a 1/4 mpg better in fuel economy than before.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That oil meets DexOS 2 requirements. It also meets ACEA C5, which is even more stringent than DexOS 2.

You won't have any problems, but in my opinion, 0w-20 is too thin for these engines - especially headed into summer. I run 5w-40 in summer. Granted, mine are older generation trucks, but the engine is the same as far as bearing clearances and tolerances go. I also had a conversation about oil viscosity recently with a well known LS valve train engineer and racing engine builder, and in his opinion even 5w-40 is a tad too thin for these engines in summer.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I cannot answer your questions other than saying I have indeed noticed a difference when running a non Dexos oil. Using ACDelco's oil, my pressure is slightly higher and get about a 1/4 mpg better in fuel economy than before.
I am hearing you say the improved pressure and mpg is on non dexos correct?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hearing you say the improved pressure and mpg is on non dexos correct?

No, it was poorly worded George. I meant that I noticed a difference in the negative when not using it. I swore off Mobil 1 a couple of years ago and have been using ACDelco's oil since. No more rattles on start up, slightly better mileage and numbers on the Blackstone Labs reports.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No, it was poorly worded George. I meant that I noticed a difference in the negative when not using it. I swore off Mobil 1 a couple of years ago and have been using ACDelco's oil since. No more rattles on start up, slightly better mileage and numbers on the Blackstone Labs reports.
Thanks for the clarification.