2016 Yukon SLE alternator overcharging?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtarango71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2016 Yukon has been leaking battery acid so I took it to a battery shop and he said the battery is pretty new it's a interstate battery and the reason it's leaking is because the alternator is overcharging and it might have a faulty voltage regulator. So I checked to see how much a new alternator costs and I noticed there are 2 types, 150 amp and 170 amp how can I tell what amps I need?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Yukon has been leaking battery acid so I took it to a battery shop and he said the battery is pretty new it's a interstate battery and the reason it's leaking is because the alternator is overcharging and it might have a faulty voltage regulator. So I checked to see how much a new alternator costs and I noticed there are 2 types, 150 amp and 170 amp how can I tell what amps I need?
The RPO KG4 for the 150 amp alternator is usually for pick up trucks. Yours should be 170 amps.

That being said, the mechanic should have mentioned the internal codes and been more specific and definitive if he did a proper diagnosis.

If you go to GMs Upfitter's website you can download the electrical manual for your generation and learn how the charging system works and what controls the alternator output. My trucks are the previous generation to yours and output is controlled by the BCM, not the alternator.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can run either one, usually the higher trim levels get the higher amperage one because of the extra electronics, the only thing you have to watch for is the pulley type
with the k2's they started using a clutch pulley on some and a standard pulley as well, like they have always been for decades.
here is a comparison so you can look and see which one you have
the one on the left is a clutch pulley it has no bolt on the front
clutch4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts