2016 Yukon SLE > Adding factory wireless charging?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kittmaster

Reaction score
I see a few threads of adding aftermarket versions of it. I was wondering if anyone has tried to order the OEM factory parts to install this single option into the vehicle.

I really want to use this feature and it comes down to if anyone has tried to install it in an SLE with the IO5 radio to see the wireless charging icon and if the harness under the center console is open to put the feature into the system.

Anyone ever give it a try or know if the harness is there to support it?

Thanks,
Chris

jonsharp2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What type of phone are you using? there are lots of issues with the stock location of the charging coil, it won't line up properly on the new larger phones (Samsung Galaxy S7 for example). One option is to retrofit a Qi charger into the existing space (buy a stand alone usb powered charger, break out the charging plate and place it in the location where the factory one would go, this would allow you to place it further forward in the cradle (the current set up it's too far back and doesn't match up.) You can pop the bottom of your center console off pretty easily, and then get into where the charging bay would be by a handful of screws. Search this forum for wireless changing, someone did this I seem to remember.

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
I have a galaxy S6, I kind of liked the idea of seeing the charge icon on the radio which is why I'm going to try an retro fit the OEM if at all possible. My guy at the dealer is pretty good about helping me out, the only concern was if the OEM harness break outs to support the OEM parts if I can purchase them. I was just wondering if anyone actually has completed the process or attempted it. I am waiting on the OEM service manuals from helminc to back trace the circuits and routing paths. Those aren't due until April 11. I've looked at a few wireless threads, not sure which one your mentioning. I'll try to keep looking. TY.

ronkh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interested as well.
I tired my phone (galaxy s7) in a Yukon and no problems at all.
Hopefully it's an easy swap out.

72-droptop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also wanted to add the OEM charger to my Tahoe. I purchased the a factory center console with the Qi charger. I disassembled the console and was ready to install the new one but the factory harness did NOT have the connection for the Qi charger. Someone posted they did have the connection available but mine did not. I found the correct wiring harness used for about $30. I haven't done the change over yet (to cold in my area to start pulling apart the plastic trim pieces).

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
How much did you have to take apart to find the area where the connector "should" be? Any pics of the disassembly by chance?

72-droptop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I removed the back of the center console, the lid and the bottom of the inside compartment. You have to start at the back of the console; once this is off you can get a good view inside of the connections at the rear of the console; the rear environmental controls, 110v power, etc. . sorry...no pics.

pfennig_san

Reaction score
I have wireless charging on the center console but I use iphone. I've heard the next version of iphone may have it. Hopefully it will work with Android wireless chargers but kind of doubt apple will cooperate like that. On the other hand, apple car play doesn't work unless the phone is plugged into USB (and charging).

salman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also wanted to add the OEM charger to my Tahoe. I purchased the a factory center console with the Qi charger. I disassembled the console and was ready to install the new one but the factory harness did NOT have the connection for the Qi charger. Someone posted they did have the connection available but mine did not. I found the correct wiring harness used for about $30. I haven't done the change over yet (to cold in my area to start pulling apart the plastic trim pieces).

I have done the same but i just ordered the charging module and the harness wire. After installing the module in the center console lid and connecting it to the exciting wire in the back of center console i find out that no power comes to that wire. Maybe because the fuse dont exist since the car doesn't come with wireless charging option.
Tried to locate the fuse in fusebox but no luck.

20170322_133022.jpg

20170322_132100.jpg

20170322_131701.jpg

20170322_131802.jpg

20170322_132954.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9