2016 Yukon Denali (Standard) with ABS Sensor Hub Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure if these will come thru. #3105 is poor video and I didn't have GPS connected. (Been copied many times which has degraded video. You will need good speakers to hear the noise but when I connect to my old stereo the noise is obvious. Look at timer bottom right when it gets to 13:42. I'll go over a small bridge and you'll hear stuff in the back of vehicle clang....then the noise.

Second video #1615 is a video my wife made while we were coming back from Tampa. Can't hear the noise but you can see the tach and speedometer drop. When I rev it up a couple of times you'll see the gear kick in and tach jumps up as well as speedometer. I was doing a bit over 65 MPH when it dropped a gear and went into what I feel is neutral. Then it kicks back in when I either rev the engine and/or it finally catches. You can tell when the speedometer drops to 10 mph and then jumps to over 60.

Hope they come thru. I had to compress into zip drive files to load.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3105.zip
    954.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1615.zip
    207.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time you hear the noise - shift into neutral and see if it goes away. Seems like there could be a mechanical problem and possibly a speed sensor malfunction issue as well. Did you ever try pulling the ABS sensor out and peering into the hole and rotating the wheel? Wondering if maybe something has gotten down inside and the truck thinks the wheel is slipping or something like that? If you're hearing an ABS-type sound there could be something going on with the ABS tone ring. Is there any "bog-down" of acceleration once the noise is heard? 4WD HI & Traction control function okay as far as you know?

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Next time you hear the noise - shift into neutral and see if it goes away. Seems like there could be a mechanical problem and possibly a speed sensor malfunction issue as well. Did you ever try pulling the ABS sensor out and peering into the hole and rotating the wheel? Wondering if maybe something has gotten down inside and the truck thinks the wheel is slipping or something like that? If you're hearing an ABS-type sound there could be something going on with the ABS tone ring. Is there any "bog-down" of acceleration once the noise is heard? 4WD HI & Traction control function okay as far as you know?
Thanks for the input. ABS was checked at a Clearwater, FL GM/GMC Dealer after we arrived to confirm it was safe to drive home to TN. Checked OK. (According to them) I never checked myself.

As you suggested, if the noise stays long enough I'll shift to neutral and see what happens. I have noticed that when I have the noise (around 10-15 mph) I can actually see the tach jump back up a couple of rpms. First time it happened (without dropping into low power mode and showing the Traction Light) I thought right away it was an ABS issue and so did my regular service tech who I called when we arrived in Florida. He suggested I have a local dealer confirm. Which they charged me to check; of course. It has only gone into Low Power once; the very first time and about 300 miles after the second torque converter was replaced. Second time I saw the Traction light was when it threw the P0308 code the second time; while it was also making the noise.

Works fine in all 4X4 modes with no bog-down noticeable. Last time I took it back in it was starting to intermittently give me the noise when I shifted to Trailer Mode. First time it made the noise it would never do it in trailer mode or any of the 4WD modes. Only in 2wd. I typically only use 4WD Auto in this area during ice/snow except when driving on steep inclines, etc. in snow/mud. Then only 4WD Hi minimal.

I drove it about 45 miles or so today and it made the noise once when I was within 3-4 miles from home.

I'll comment again when I get a chance to drop it in neutral when I hear the noise. Thanks!

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As suggested I was able to put vehicle in neutral when the noise began (twice) and it did not stop. Noise stops only when it engages what feels like a lower gear. Seems if it was an ABS sensor it would be more consistant?! Thanks!

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All they did was clean the #8 coil and clear the code. I'm hitting to road on the 17th for a 500 mile round trip run. Tends to act up more frequently when it warms up during steady driving. This will be primarily interstate but in past as soon as I pull off to slow down on ramp or the next red light or two it starts doing it's thing.

Otherwise for now it runs OK on the open highway with no slips and/or misses. I'll know more after this trip.

Problem (or maybe a good thing) is the dealer hasn't written up any repair tickets (yet) for the transfer case or the transmission.

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE: Problem still there but less frequent. They could not duplicate in shop this last time. Did it once briefly for me less than 10 miles from shop when I drove away. Since then I've put over 500 miles on it with no noise. I expect it to return. The saga continues. Keeping Chip out of it till the issue is resolved.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts