2016 Yukon Denali - bad fuel injector install, how much damage is done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denise Kilgus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All Fuel injectors replaced at repair shop a couple months ago, had problems ever since and shop threw their hands up, don’t think they ever went back to double check install! Now we remove the intake to find this. Is this a bad install (not sealed correctly) or could anything else possibly have caused it? Also, husband is concerned the head could now be damaged/melted? (Due to running it with this leak for so long). Need some thoughts and/or knowledge on this please.
DACE7D35-A0D4-452E-A1C8-3EB1530AF34E.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Denise Kilgus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't see an immediate problem here. Are you talking about the dark area on the top intake port?
It's actually the burnt area on and surrounding the cyl. 6 injector. It appears as though it didn't seal fully and is leaking back out around the injector. This started w/ a cyl. 6 misfire code, we were able to track down to the injector. While they had it apart, they suggested replacing all the injectors so we did. It hasn't run right for the last ~3 months, (very rough idle and seems like it has an intermittent miss). Tried replacing an O2 sensor, plugs and wires to no avail. After noticing strong gas smell multiple times, finally decided to check on the injectors since that's when this all started and it looks like burnt/hot gas been coming back up around cyl. 6 injector, which we believe is likely why it's been running like crap. Question would be, did/could the extreme heat of this leak cause any damage to the head around where the injector is supposed to seal such that cleaning it up and putting it back together won't fully fix the problem? Also, is this likely the result of a faulty injector o-ring or a faulty install (or is there any way to know)?

OP
OP
D

Denise Kilgus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's actually the burnt area on and surrounding the cyl. 6 injector. It appears as though it didn't seal fully and is leaking back out around the injector. This started w/ a cyl. 6 misfire code, we were able to track down to the injector. While they had it apart, they suggested replacing all the injectors so we did. It hasn't run right for the last ~3 months, (very rough idle and seems like it has an intermittent miss). Tried replacing an O2 sensor, plugs and wires to no avail. After noticing strong gas smell multiple times, finally decided to check on the injectors since that's when this all started and it looks like burnt/hot gas been coming back up around cyl. 6 injector, which we believe is likely why it's been running like crap. Question would be, did/could the extreme heat of this leak cause any damage to the head around where the injector is supposed to seal such that cleaning it up and putting it back together won't fully fix the problem? Also, is this likely the result of a faulty injector o-ring or a faulty install (or is there any way to know)?
E3A2B364-BF9A-4F16-8BB3-52A4915537F3.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well if anything I would replace the fuel rail and the 1 injector, if replacing it before did not resolve the initial problem then perhaps the fuel rail is bent or something not allowing it to seat properly. while the fuel rail is off inspect the area where the injector seats, unless it is severely pitted I wouldn't worry about it, otherwise it can be cleaned up and put back together, you really won't be able to tell until you get the fuel rail off and then use a flashlight and look real close

OP
OP
D

Denise Kilgus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well if anything I would replace the fuel rail and the 1 injector, if replacing it before did not resolve the initial problem then perhaps the fuel rail is bent or something not allowing it to seat properly. while the fuel rail is off inspect the area where the injector seats, unless it is severely pitted I wouldn't worry about it, otherwise it can be cleaned up and put back together, you really won't be able to tell until you get the fuel rail off and then use a flashlight and look real close
Thanks for the reply! Any idea where to get the “special tool” required for removal of the fuel rail? Can’t find the one on Amazon specifically for the 6.2L and not sure if/how it would be different for the one that says it’s for the 5.3L

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Any idea where to get the “special tool” required for removal of the fuel rail? Can’t find the one on Amazon specifically for the 6.2L and not sure if/how it would be different for the one that says it’s for the 5.3L
same tool, the only thing different on the l86 is the plastic intake
this video may be helpful and he talks about the injector rail bending as well which could be what happened previously

OP
OP
D

Denise Kilgus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
same tool, the only thing different on the l86 is the plastic intake
this video may be helpful and he talks about the injector rail bending as well which could be what happened previously
Thanks! That’s very helpful and these guys are way more cautious about a potential leak then the guys that fixed mine!! Wondering if a bent rail would have been noticeable as I specifically asked them to check
Hopefully we go through this one more time and I have a drive-able vehicle again. Almost took it on spring break from Indy to FL and that could have gone badly with this going on! Thanks again for the insight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2