2016 Tahoe - transmission fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pops McGee

Reaction score
Curious what people think is best time to get the transmission fluid changed?

I have 2016 Tahoe, owed for 2+ years, 16k miles. I got oil change after first 1k miles and then every 3k after. I will not be doing myself, either dealer or local lube place.

I do not tow nor use the 4WD often. Its a city car i really only drive on weekend road trips, and garage kept.

No problems with truck, just want to keep her running smooth. I plan on keeping for a while

Also, what about the diffs?

Thanks for any responses

thirdcoast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow Owners Manual and you will good to go. The new trannys get a flush/exchange and it is around 50K or more.. diffs about same..

I personally think you are throwing good oil away if you are using full synthetic.. Manual is about 7500 or when your oil indicator tells you.

I run Kendall Titanium Full Synthetic and change when it gets to 20% oil life left..

Good luck,,

Thirdcoast

OP
OP
Pops McGee

Pops McGee

Reaction score
Follow Owners Manual and you will good to go. The new trannys get a flush/exchange and it is around 50K or more.. diffs about same..

I personally think you are throwing good oil away if you are using full synthetic.. Manual is about 7500 or when your oil indicator tells you.

I run Kendall Titanium Full Synthetic and change when it gets to 20% oil life left..

Good luck,,

Thirdcoast

Thank you. I am going synthetic but just old school about the 3k miles. can't get my head around the 7,500 mile thing. i paid cash for truck so to me just an investment to do it more often.

forever29

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I changed my transmission oil on my 2008 every 40k miles. About 90% of the 218k total miles I put on it was highway. Tranny crapped out at 195k miles before I got it changed. As already said, you’ll be good if you follow the manual.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2016 Tahoe, owed for 2+ years, 16k miles. I got oil change after first 1k miles and then every 3k after. I will not be doing myself, either dealer or local lube place.
Thanks for any responses

Please stay out of Lube Shops!! Either find a good independent or a good dealer that does not try to talk you into wallet flushing services..For oil I would just use Mobil 1 and AC Delco filters..The Full Synthetic oil the dealers use should work also.

Lt Belspur

Reaction score
Your vehicle just like mine requires Dexos approved oil. Never go to a lube shop as Miami - Dade stated

I change my own fluids.

Oil at 5,000. Mobil 1. I change my transmission fluid every 10,000 miles Full Synthetic Dexron VI. Change the filter at 45,000. Some say overkill. I say fluid is cheap. The vehicle is expensive. I have never had a transmission related failure in any of my vehicles. Most had over 200,000 miles.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother put over 450,000 on his Silverado, and never once changed the tranny fluid.

I think we're all better off following the schedule set out in the owner's manual.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mighty Hd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change mine every 30k and drop the pan for a filter change. Cheap insurance as I need it to last at least 200-250k

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So get this- I’m taking my 2015 Yukon in for trans fluid exchange. It has the 8l90, so no pan drop. They won’t do full fluid exchange (dealer). Just a drain and fill.

I don’t think dealers want to touch these 8l90’s...though 45k is severe fluid interval, tech said dealer won’t do filter changes and fluid exchanges - only drain and fill.

Tech said drain and fill will get 2/3-3/4 of fluid. My truck has 45k on trans ( they replaced with new factory unit at 15k)

I’m going to do it. Clean fluid is better than keeping factory fill for too long.

Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9