2016 Tahoe 45K Mile Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teejayone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe Manual shows to replace brake fluid at 45K. So I don't think its a service guy blowing smoke up your butt....

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe Manual shows to replace brake fluid at 45K. So I don't think its a service guy blowing smoke up your butt....
He has a 16. The manual for my 16 sez every 5 years to replace the brake fluid.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While in for my 45K mile service at the Chevrolet-GMC dealer yesterday besides the normal oil change and tire rotation they wanted to do a induction service cleaning as they said I had major carbon buildup. I refused that as I have no performance issues and still getting decent mileage. I said maybe next time at 50K miles but that is a big maybe. With that said it is possible with Direct Injection [after 45K miles] to have carbon buildup. I mentioned about installing a Catch Can but they said it would void the warranty.

I really wish GM mixed Port Injection with their Direct Injection [like some vehicle manufacturers are doing] as that would help reduce the carbon issues with Direct Injection engines. Direct Injection without Port Injection seems like progress in reverse as the miles mount on IMHO.

They claimed my transmission fluid was burnt and smelled bad but could not give me any reason for it. When it was serviced at 40K miles all was well. I reluctantly let them change the fluid as the transmission seems to be the main weak spot in these vehicles plus if the transmission goes belly up on me they will blame me for not changing out the fluid.

They wanted to flush out the brake fluid. I said no to that as I do not believe in it. Just in my IMHO. To me it is another wallet flushing procedure. I know some people believe in it but in all my years never had a issue with brake fluid going bad. Even on 300K mile vehicles. I said when I get new brakes it will get flushed out. At 45K miles brake service is not that far off.

I changed out the cabin filter and air filter before it went in.

Getting back to the tire rotation....After I got my vehicle back went on I-95 to go home I managed to get up to close to 80 MPH as traffic was unusually light. I immediately got a severe vibration. Went right back to the dealer who put it on the rack and showed me cracks in my front tires. When they were on rear before the rotation I did not have issues with the vibration. They claim the Continentals have a habit of doing that after 40K miles. My original plan was to put new tires on the Tahoe after my trip to NYC [coming up next week] as NYC and New Jersey have horrible roads. Ended up getting new Michelin Defenders and of coarse a wheel alignment. Rides a lot better then the Continentals ever did. Even when new.

I still love my Tahoe and everything but for those here who own a NNBS Tahoe I would just keep it until the wheels fall off.

I had a dealer rotate my tires that are directional and all 4 were reversed when I checked afterwards. SMH

OP
OP
Miami-Dade

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will just add one more thing. Two weeks later I was going over everything that the dealer did on my bill and saw that they put in the wrong grade oil. They put in 5w30 instead of 0w20. I called then up immediately as I was going on a road trip to the colder northeast the very next day where I am right now. The service advisor blew me off and refused to do anything about it.

Spoke to the top dog manager and he said the Mobil 1 5w30 is a GM approved oil. I said I know that 5w30 Mobil 1 is a approved GM oil but not for a 2016 Tahoe. I said I think there a reason why the oil cap says to use 0w20. He also blew me off. I ended up paying for another oil change at a private garage to have my oil changed out again to 0w20 Mobil 1 EP before I hit the road.

At my next service I will be looking another dealership. I case of warranty work I prefer to have a good relationship with a decent dealer but this one off the table. The dealership I am talking about is Schumacher Chevrolet-GMC-Buick in North Palm Beach Florida.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"recommended" services are usually up sells for dealer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17