2016 Tahoe 45K Mile Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While in for my 45K mile service at the Chevrolet-GMC dealer yesterday besides the normal oil change and tire rotation they wanted to do a induction service cleaning as they said I had major carbon buildup. I refused that as I have no performance issues and still getting decent mileage. I said maybe next time at 50K miles but that is a big maybe. With that said it is possible with Direct Injection [after 45K miles] to have carbon buildup. I mentioned about installing a Catch Can but they said it would void the warranty.

I really wish GM mixed Port Injection with their Direct Injection [like some vehicle manufacturers are doing] as that would help reduce the carbon issues with Direct Injection engines. Direct Injection without Port Injection seems like progress in reverse as the miles mount on IMHO.

They claimed my transmission fluid was burnt and smelled bad but could not give me any reason for it. When it was serviced at 40K miles all was well. I reluctantly let them change the fluid as the transmission seems to be the main weak spot in these vehicles plus if the transmission goes belly up on me they will blame me for not changing out the fluid.

They wanted to flush out the brake fluid. I said no to that as I do not believe in it. Just in my IMHO. To me it is another wallet flushing procedure. I know some people believe in it but in all my years never had a issue with brake fluid going bad. Even on 300K mile vehicles. I said when I get new brakes it will get flushed out. At 45K miles brake service is not that far off.

I changed out the cabin filter and air filter before it went in.

Getting back to the tire rotation....After I got my vehicle back went on I-95 to go home I managed to get up to close to 80 MPH as traffic was unusually light. I immediately got a severe vibration. Went right back to the dealer who put it on the rack and showed me cracks in my front tires. When they were on rear before the rotation I did not have issues with the vibration. They claim the Continentals have a habit of doing that after 40K miles. My original plan was to put new tires on the Tahoe after my trip to NYC [coming up next week] as NYC and New Jersey have horrible roads. Ended up getting new Michelin Defenders and of coarse a wheel alignment. Rides a lot better then the Continentals ever did. Even when new.

I still love my Tahoe and everything but for those here who own a NNBS Tahoe I would just keep it until the wheels fall off.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
While in for my 45K mile service at the Chevrolet-GMC dealer yesterday besides the normal oil change and tire rotation they wanted to do a induction service cleaning as they said I had major carbon buildup. I refused that as I have no performance issues and still getting decent mileage. I said maybe next time at 50K miles but that is a big maybe. With that said it is possible with Direct Injection [after 45K miles] to have carbon buildup. I mentioned about installing a Catch Can but they said it would void the warranty.

I really wish GM mixed Port Injection with their Direct Injection [like some vehicle manufacturers are doing] as that would help reduce the carbon issues with Direct Injection engines. Direct Injection without Port Injection seems like progress in reverse as the miles mount on IMHO.

They claimed my transmission fluid was burnt and smelled bad but could not give me any reason for it. When it was serviced at 40K miles all was well. I reluctantly let them change the fluid as the transmission seems to be the main weak spot in these vehicles plus if the transmission goes belly up on me they will blame me for not changing out the fluid.

They wanted to flush out the brake fluid. I said no to that as I do not believe in it. Just in my IMHO. To me it is another wallet flushing procedure. I know some people believe in it but in all my years never had a issue with brake fluid going bad. Even on 300K mile vehicles. I said when I get new brakes it will get flushed out. At 45K miles brake service is not that far off.

I changed out the cabin filter and air filter before it went in.

Getting back to the tire rotation....After I got my vehicle back went on I-95 to go home I managed to get up to close to 80 MPH as traffic was unusually light. I immediately got a severe vibration. Went right back to the dealer who put it on the rack and showed me cracks in my front tires. When they were on rear before the rotation I did not have issues with the vibration. They claim the Continentals have a habit of doing that after 40K miles. My original plan was to put new tires on the Tahoe after my trip to NYC [coming up next week] as NYC and New Jersey have horrible roads. Ended up getting new Michelin Defenders and of coarse a wheel alignment. Rides a lot better then the Continentals ever did. Even when new.

I still love my Tahoe and everything but for those here who own a NNBS Tahoe I would just keep it until the wheels fall off.

Or just get an NBS or 3. Then you don't have to worry about stuff like wheels falling off!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I barely go 10k without cleaning the intake but I also do it myself, no reason to pay them whatever they charge when you could do it yourself for the cost of a can of cleaner and rag (less than $5.00 and the can goes a LONG way). brake fluid gets nasty but I guess it doesn't prevent it from working......just a matter of personal preference I guess, same goes for steering fluid. dealers always try to upsale or anyplace really by "recommending" something be done but if your transmission was already flushed at 40k no way was it burnt at 45k unless you drive 3 times as bad as me.

OP
OP
Miami-Dade

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if your transmission was already flushed at 40k no way was it burnt at 45k unless you drive 3 times as bad as me.

It was never flushed out since new but when checked at 40K miles at the previous oil change all was perfect. I am very easy on my vehicles never take off fast at traffic lights.

bradntx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anytime your dealer starts "recommending" these extra services ask them to show you where it is called for in the manual. Depending on how full of shit they are it might shut them up. Brake fluid every 3-4 years isn't a bad idea especially if you tow and have significant heat buildup in your brakes. A catch can should not void your warranty.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I flushed my brake system at 45k (3 years) and it was pretty dark. Brake fluid gets nasty as it absorbs water and from a lot of heat. I posted a pic:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/don’t-forget-to-flush-your-brake-system-3yrs-or-45k.101226/

Trans fluid I had changed (dealer dropped pan and replaced filter) at 60k (45k on trans as I had it replaced under warranty at 15k). Trans fluid on the 8l90 is not an easy change procedure. Fluid must be at specific temp and you need to pump fluid into the drain plug- have the dealer do it :

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ssion-fluid-change.104171/page-2#post-1267524

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I flushed my 2010 silverado at 145k, still looked just fine. Granted the fluid can break down, but flushing brake fluid wasn’t really a high priority thing until maybe 5-7 years ago. Just another form of spending money that doesn’t necessarily need to be spent

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I flushed my 2010 silverado at 145k, still looked just fine. Granted the fluid can break down, but flushing brake fluid wasn’t really a high priority thing until maybe 5-7 years ago. Just another form of spending money that doesn’t necessarily need to be spent

Like changing your oil at every 3K miles vs the 5K, or so, listed in the manual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent