2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali Liftgate Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schmaltzy72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All items worked in the past with the liftgate, but now having issues.

The handsfree liftgate option does not work at all. Wondering if it may be a fuse, or a bad sensor. May look to replace if needed.

The other issue is that my key FOB does not work with the main liftgate operation. Every other button works, but when I try to double click for the main tailgate, the back lights blink, but it doesn't open. If the grab the liftgate handle and press the button the liftgate works and also if I activate from the inside it works. If I open the tailgate by grabbing handle on it and then close, I can then use the key FOB to open and close the tailgate again.

After I use the vehicle and go back to try again with the key fob, nothing! If I open and close manually the key fob works again?

Any thoughts?

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum - mine has done similarly for years - but very sporadically. Interior button works 100%. I'd say once every two months or so, pressing the remote lift button or the lift button on the gate itself will unlatch it, but it doesn't lift. Then after manually doing it once, it works fine again. Frequency hasn't changed over years, so I never addressed it. Curious to see if someone has insight into it.

Highspeedcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

The handsfree liftgate option does not work at all. Wondering if it may be a fuse, or a bad sensor. May look to replace if needed.

The other issue is that my key FOB does not work with the main liftgate operation. Every other button works, but when I try to double click for the main tailgate, the back lights blink, but it doesn't open. If the grab the liftgate handle and press the button the liftgate works and also if I activate from the inside it works. If I open the tailgate by grabbing handle on it and then close, I can then use the key FOB to open and close the tailgate again.

After I use the vehicle and go back to try again with the key fob, nothing! If I open and close manually the key fob works again?

Any thoughts?
I’ve been having the exact same intermittent issues with the key fob. I turn off the vehicle and try to open the liftgate with the key fob but the rear lights just flash and nothing happens. Open it manually once then the key fob will work. I did notice today after doing just what I mentioned, I let it sit for a couple minutes and then the key fob wouldn’t work again. I’ve also had times where the liftgate handle wouldn’t work, and had it stuck in the up position where the key fob would close it. Interior switch has always worked. I had the Liftgate assist actuator replaced today and that didn’t change anything.
I did read a post somewhere today that said they were having similar issues but it was only happening in the summer with hot weather. Mine worked right last winter but not now. The cause for that was chafed wires where they enter the cab. This also fixed his issue of the liftgate only opening half way.
I haven’t had a chance to look at this but plan to this week. I hope this fixes it for you.

DrAnik

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Any thoughts?
We just bought a 2017 Yukon XL, and it is having this exact issue. We're you able to figure out the problem?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could maybe be a software issue, try looking for a TSB and see if one matches the problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17