2016 GMC Yukon Front End Clunking, Rattling & Grinding Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmoney223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone I hope all is well I just joined the forum.

I am having a little trouble with my Truck. I drive a 2016 GMC Yukon XL 5.3 4wd. When driving at any speed the front end rattles (sounds like rocks in washing machine), makes a rubbing sound like something is not properly lubricated, or vibrates. The noise is seems to be coming from the drivers side as the vibration can felt the floor of the vehicle. The noise only seems to subside at speeds above 75mph

I’m not really sure what’s causing the noise and would like to try to nail it down before I go back to the dealer. I took the truck to the dealer once before and they claimed the couldn’t hear the noise & didn’t have time to back and forth with them that day. Needless to say it’s getting a little agitating to have my daily driver making a ton of noise.

Before I attempt to diagnose the problem I’d like to know anyone else has experienced this.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome,Not sure what it may be but take the Service Manager or tech for a drive and point out what you are talking about. You need to try to make time this time around to get a proper diagnosis. They need to get it up on the rack so they can check the front end. I would also be a little concerned about driving it with all those noises.

OP
OP
G

Gmoney223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone I hope all is well I just joined the forum.

I am having a little trouble with my Truck. I drive a 2016 GMC Yukon XL 5.3 4wd. When driving at any speed the front end rattles (sounds like rocks in washing machine), makes a rubbing sound like something is not properly lubricated, or vibrates. The noise is seems to be coming from the drivers side as the vibration can felt the floor of the vehicle. The noise only seems to subside at speeds above 75mph

I’m not really sure what’s causing the noise and would like to try to nail it down before I go back to the dealer. I took the truck to the dealer once before and they claimed the couldn’t hear the noise & didn’t have time to back and forth with them that day. Needless to say it’s getting a little agitating to have my daily driver making a ton of noise.

Before I attempt to diagnose the problem I’d like to know anyone else has experienced this.

Update -

The vehicle is not pulling left to right
The wheel bearing is not damaged
The brake rotors is not damaged
Brake rotor wear is even
Broke pad wear is even
Front driver side caliper isn’t damaged
There is no wheel damage
Wheels and tires are balanced correctly
The rim is not bent in any way

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I would do in this case is put the truck up on 4 jack stands, start it up put it in 4wd and put it in drive and listen closely should be fairly simple to proceed from there, if this is not a option then rent or buy a multi channel mic system and clip the mics underneath the truck and drive it around until you determine the source of the noise. such as the steelman
https://www.zoro.com/steelman-diagnostic-handheld-3-ft-5-pcs-91927/i/G8749142/

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Update -

The vehicle is not pulling left to right
The wheel bearing is not damaged
The brake rotors is not damaged
Brake rotor wear is even
Broke pad wear is even
Front driver side caliper isn’t damaged
There is no wheel damage
Wheels and tires are balanced correctly
The rim is not bent in any way

How do you know the bearing is not damaged? It sure sounds like a hub assy at first glance.

Have you put it up and spun /shook the front wheels?

OP
OP
G

Gmoney223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How do you know the bearing is not damaged? It sure sounds like a hub assy at first glance.

Have you put it up and spun /shook the front wheels?

Yes I put the vehicle on a four post lift and used a bridge jack.

First I lifted the vehicle up and put the truck in neutral and rotated the wheel there was no noise.

Second I got two people to push and pull on the wheel/tie to see if there was any play.

Third I took the tire off and repeated the same test and pushed and pulled on the rotor and there was no play

I also checked the entire brake system and it’s functioning correctly.

The next thing I’m going to do is visually inspect the wheel bearing itself.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yes I put the vehicle on a four post lift and used a bridge jack.

First I lifted the vehicle up and put the truck in neutral and rotated the wheel there was no noise.

Second I got two people to push and pull on the wheel/tie to see if there was any play.

Third I took the tire off and repeated the same test and pushed and pulled on the rotor and there was no play

I also checked the entire brake system and it’s functioning correctly.

The next thing I’m going to do is visually inspect the wheel bearing itself.

Did you put it in gear and try to replicate the noise? I wonder about pulling the inspection plate and checking the torque converter for cracks or maybe a loose bolt in there. That could cause vibrations and sound like rocks in a tumbler.

OP
OP
G

Gmoney223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you put it in gear and try to replicate the noise? I wonder about pulling the inspection plate and checking the torque converter for cracks or maybe a loose bolt in there. That could cause vibrations and sound like rocks in a tumbler.

I will do this in the a.m. thanks for the suggestion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts