2016 Denali shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had this exact issue

I have this exact issue as well. Torque converter shudder. I’ve had this 2016 Yukon Xl Denali with 42000 mile on it since October and it was doing it very infrequently when I bought it. Late last week the check engine light went on finally and threw a P0700 sensor code for the trans temp sensor and it started doing the shudder thing pretty consistently. It’s in the dealer now and they said there is a viscosity issue with the original trans fluid and it needs a flush and filter. They are waiting on the sensor (on back order) to do the work but I’ll keep you posted when I get it back if my shudder issue is truely fixed. I’ll. Be picking it up and heading on vacation the next day so it’s bound to not be fixed right and I’ll be at a dealer out of town to get repaired.... they will probably not honor the extended warranty this just my prediction and bets? ...hope for the best, plan for ther worst!

I am in the same boat. Vehicle has 54,000 miles on it and bought it used. Something I noticed was the trans temp gauge bouncing all over the place. The trans never threw a code, but took it in cause it just didn't look right. In addition, I was having issues with hard shifts or erratic shifting intermittently. One day it would shift totally fine and the next day it would shift like garbage. The diagnosis from the tech was a faulty wiring harness in the transmission in which the temp sensor is attached to this harness. I was told the faulty harness was causing the intermittent shift quality and the erratic behavior of the temp sensor. I have been told once this is replaced my problems should go away. I guess it kind of makes sense, since the shift pressure is based off of trans temp, and the TCM doesn't know what's going on because the actual temp reported to it is incorrect. For good measure, I was told they will replace the fluid with the new and improved trans fluid and reprogram the TCM. Anyways, I am supposed to go in tomorrow to get this issue resolved. Sure hope it fixes the issue.

MechEng813

Reaction score
Had mine in for this, they took it on without out much convincing, as if they were familiar with it.

Paperwork shows they replaced Trans Fluid Pump sensor and harness. PN13511137 & 24284429.
Parts were on backorder so they gave me a rental for over a week.

nathank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious about everyone reporting in this thread. Were you able to get the shudder fixed, and if so what did they do to fix it?

Josh D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They ended up replacing my trans temp sensor and the fluid was replaced with the Mobil 1 version. I can report that my issue with hard and irregular shifts are pretty much gone and seems to shift much better than before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63