2016 Chevy Tahoe AC making a loud noise!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sabrina Diaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I traded in my 2008 GMC Yukon for a 2016 Chevy Tahoe. A week after bringing it home I was parked and the AC started making this loud humming noise I thought there was a plane over me. The noise is coming from the passenger side, now it is so loud.

I took it to the dealer’s shop and it’s been there since Monday he barely got a mechanic on it yesterday! He said oh a vent was closed, nope I closed it myself purposely when I arrived there. I took a video of the noise can someone help me so when he calls me on Monday if he still isn’t successful in finding the problem I can give him some INSIGHT.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume it gets faster/louder as you increase fan speed? Sounds like a failing blower motor.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed with above. It is either a partial blockage (a vent door not moving properly into position, or some stuff like leaves, etc. in the air housing around the blower motor), making it much harder for the blower to move the air, or it is the beginning of the blower motor failure, probably bearings.

OP
OP
Sabrina Diaz

Sabrina Diaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agreed with above. It is either a partial blockage (a vent door not moving properly into position, or some stuff like leaves, etc. in the air housing around the blower motor), making it much harder for the blower to move the air, or it is the beginning of the blower motor failure, probably bearings.

Thank you, he called and said he can’t recreate the sound. So they have my Tahoe still I’m waiting to see if they find the issue or if I have to go back up there again and “help” them hear the noise.

Masonson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would pull the blower motor out and verify there's nothing causing a block. Mine was loud after I replaced my cabin air filter, removed it and found maybbeee 3 leaves. Cleaned it out, reinstalled it and the motor was quiet again. Easy to do, takes maybe 15-30 min.

isdatspinks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would pull the blower motor out and verify there's nothing causing a block. Mine was loud after I replaced my cabin air filter, removed it and found maybbeee 3 leaves. Cleaned it out, reinstalled it and the motor was quiet again. Easy to do, takes maybe 15-30 min.
Was it hard to remove the blower?

isdatspinks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took care of the noise. THE ROUGH WAY. I used a pry bar to open the opening of the cabin air filter wider and stuck my hand in there. Got a lil battle wound but got the 2 leaves out.20211207_113843.jpg20211207_113851.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kracker456