2016-2018 Yukon XL or Suburban 6.2L with second row bench?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mshii

mshii

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A few things to keep in mind and some of this may not be an issue in the 2015-2020 years, but they were in the 2007-2014 years when I made this swap.

You will like need to swap seats from vehicles with the same wheel base.
Makes sure the bench seat you get have the same options as the captains you are removing if you want true plug and play. This is more of an issue if you have power fold and heated seats currently.
There used to be a slight difference in leather. When I did this swap in my 2007 Denali XL, the bench that I got was from a Suburban LTZ and the leather had a different texture. Wasn't an issue, but something to keep in mind.

Not sure how the 2015-2020 units deal with this, but in the 2007-2014 vehicles, the floor trim pieces that go over the floor frames are different between the bench and the captains.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the level of detail you provided.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Check out eBay for bench seats *specific* to the model year you’re interested in. Purchase the bench seat prior to purchasing the vehicle you want. Get leather. It’s tough, forgiving and most of all, after a good detail it comes back to new. Make sure you purchase one with seat heaters & electric tumble. If your new truck doesn’t have them no biggie. If your new truck has heated captains and electric tumble seats, the 60/40 bench seats are a straight swap. Only the outbound two bench seats are heated though.

Use the crating from the bench seat to sell / send the captains chairs back to the company you purchased the bench from. You can even use the same carrier and know the pricing.

Our 08 Denali XL AWD had the rear leather, heated 60/40 bench. Like the captains chairs, they can be triggered to automatically tumble forward for access to the 3row seats. Look for that feature when shopping for a bench too. Again, this is all a bolt in, plug in, factory modification if the replacement vehicle you find has heated tumble captain chairs.

When we sold the Denali in May, the heated, tumble 60/40 bench seat and its concealed center cup holder & armrest was a huge selling point to the buyer for all her grandkids.

Hope this helps knowing to shop for the seat rather than the truck. We did the same thing for our 02 Audi allroad. We found a hens teeth 6SP M trans wagon mated to the 2.7t motor equipped with heated seats. We unbolted the rear facing 3rd row seats and all the specialized parts from an equipped allroad slushbox and swapped them into our 6SP M wagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
mshii

mshii

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check out eBay for bench seats *specific* to the model year you’re interested in. Purchase the bench seat prior to purchasing the vehicle you want. Get leather. It’s tough, forgiving and most of all, after a good detail it comes back to new. Make sure you purchase one with seat heaters & electric tumble. If your new truck doesn’t have them no biggie. If your new truck has heated captains and electric tumble seats, the 60/40 bench seats are a straight swap. Only the outbound two bench seats are heated though.

Use the crating from the bench seat to sell / send the captains chairs back to the company you purchased the bench from. You can even use the same carrier and know the pricing.

Our 08 Denali XL AWD had the rear leather, heated 60/40 bench. Like the captains chairs, they can be triggered to automatically tumble forward for access to the 3row seats. Look for that feature when shopping for a bench too. Again, this is all a bolt in, plug in, factory modification if the replacement vehicle you find has heated tumble captain chairs.

When we sold the Denali in May, the heated, tumble 60/40 bench seat and its concealed center cup holder & armrest was a huge selling point to the buyer for all her grandkids.

Hope this helps knowing to shop for the seat rather than the truck. We did the same thing for our 02 Audi allroad. We found a hens teeth 6SP M trans wagon mated to the 2.7t motor equipped with heated seats. We unbolted the rear facing 3rd row seats and all the specialized parts from an equipped allroad slushbox and swapped them into our 6SP M wagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is great info! Thank you very much!

Jim Meehan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You might also want to try http://www.car-part.com. A great resource for searching junkyards nationwide. You can plug in a specific vehicle, year range and part type -- "Seats, rear 2nd row" is an option. You get a list of junkyards that have that specific part, usually with a pretty good description of color, material, condition, etc. Often with photos as well.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, but I've had a 2013 Suburban LT for three years. The main reason I went with this trim level is because I have three children, and I tend to haul a bunch of stuff. The second row bench gives the option of riding with the entire family, and still carrying something big.

My question for all of you is, how common is it to find a 2016 - 2018 Yukon XL or a Suburban with the 6.2L AND a bench seat? I've been looking forever.

I have a 2017 Tahoe with black leather interior, would consider a swap for the captains chairs, if the color works for you.

sabasigh

Reaction score
I bought a bench seat off ebay and while it's leather it doesn't have the fold down console...which i don't care. Can't find a Coverking car seat cover for it tho.

Will get the seat mounted this weekend.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While everyone is concerned with the rear bench (my 2009 Tahoe has it) something else to look into is the AWD vs 4WD difference between Yukon and Suburban. If you ever need low range for moving heavy loads you'll need 4WD. I don't think ADD ever comes with a low range option. Hopefully someone smart can jump in and advise on this.

An engine swap is always possible. I'm about to do one on my Tahoe.