2015 Yukon XL Suspension Replacement Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommyd123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

Going to ask some questions that have probably been asked a million times before, but some quick searching didn’t get me the answers I’ve been looking for.

Planning on suspension work on my 2015 Yukon XL SLT 2WD with max tow package. It’s got about 100k on the clock and I’d like it to drive like new or as close to new as possible. This is a daily driver so comfort is important, and we also tow a 7000# camper frequently. Do not have magnetic ride control, we do have auto-Level, and I’d like to keep it. These are my questions:

I can find front shock/spring assemblies, but not the rear, only rear shocks. Why is this?

How do I know if I have the Z85 increased capacity chassis? Some of the available suspension parts mention this.

Some options mention electronic adjustable suspension, is this the same as the auto-Level?

Are there any other components other than the spring/shock assemblies I should replace?

Is there a complete package available from anyone, maybe a site sponsor, that has all the necessary parts to make my XL ride like new?

I was under the impression that the auto-Level was basically an airbag-type system. Do the rear shocks connect to the auto-Level system?

Thanks for the help!

Thomas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Going to ask some questions that have probably been asked a million times before, but some quick searching didn’t get me the answers I’ve been looking for.

Planning on suspension work on my 2015 Yukon XL SLT 2WD with max tow package. It’s got about 100k on the clock and I’d like it to drive like new or as close to new as possible. This is a daily driver so comfort is important, and we also tow a 7000# camper frequently. Do not have magnetic ride control, we do have auto-Level, and I’d like to keep it. These are my questions:

I can find front shock/spring assemblies, but not the rear, only rear shocks. Why is this?

How do I know if I have the Z85 increased capacity chassis? Some of the available suspension parts mention this.

Some options mention electronic adjustable suspension, is this the same as the auto-Level?

Are there any other components other than the spring/shock assemblies I should replace?

Is there a complete package available from anyone, maybe a site sponsor, that has all the necessary parts to make my XL ride like new?

I was under the impression that the auto-Level was basically an airbag-type system. Do the rear shocks connect to the auto-Level system?

Thanks for the help!

Thomas

Let's see if I can answer some of your questions.

To see if you have the Z85 package, look at the RPO code sticker, which should be inside your glove box, and see if you have Z85 listed as one of the codes. If you are not sure what you are looking for, you can take a picture of it and post it here and folks can help you decipher it.

The reason you are only finding shocks for the rear as opposed to the struts (Shock/Spring combo) that you are seeing for the front is you do not have struts in the rear. You have separate shocks and springs.

The auto-level system has an air compressor that is connected to your rear shocks as they have an airbag in them that the air compressor either pumps up or deflates depending on what the height sensors at each corner of the vehicle indicate is needed to keep the vehicle level.

With 100K on the clock, you are definitely in the window of needing new shocks. I would also take a look, or have someone take a look, at your ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, etc. These items will be what contribute to getting your vehicle to ride "like new".

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like Wade said, here is what the replacement air shock for the Z85 suspension looks like: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6692824&cc=3307643&jsn=4502

He also added something that you may not have thought about: The entire front steering and suspension package, i.e. ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings and links and also same at the rear. Also, instead of just the ball joints get the whole control arm with the bushings and ball joints and get the rear arms that are really axle locating lateral arms, upper and lower.

One thing you will learn about me is that I can spend your money quickly, given half a chance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tommyd123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, looks like I have the Z85 suspension. (See attached)

Is this a common package? Normal with tow package?

Tracking now how the auto-Level works. Still having trouble finding rear springs. Are the springs important to replace or is it mostly recommended on the fronts so you can replace the whole assembly without worrying about compressing the spring?

OP
OP
T

Tommyd123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, pic upload not working, but z85 is listed as one of the codes on the sticker.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, looks like I have the Z85 suspension. (See attached)

Is this a common package? Normal with tow package?

Tracking now how the auto-Level works. Still having trouble finding rear springs. Are the springs important to replace or is it mostly recommended on the fronts so you can replace the whole assembly without worrying about compressing the spring?

I wouldn’t think that you would need to replace the rear springs.

You really shouldn’t have to replace the springs on the front either if you want to just swap out the shock. I have always done the full assembly, shock and spring, as a matter of expediency.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think that you would need to replace the rear springs.

You really shouldn’t have to replace the springs on the front either if you want to just swap out the shock. I have always done the full assembly, shock and spring, as a matter of expediency.

Yea, owning that spring compressor to get the old spring off and swap it costs money and time and it really is no fun if you are just laying it on the flat ground to do that work. Best to have the vertical mount stand that helps hold in place while you compress and do a swap. You always end up saying to yourself, "Man, I wish I would have bought the complete assembly". Like this design: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3089085&cc=3307643&jsn=2191

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for the help!

Thomas

Take a picture of your RPO sheet for reference.

Plug your VIN in here Tommy: https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Your Z and G codes may contain suspension options. A number code like 6XX and 7XX, those are your front shocks.

You shouldn't need springs yet but the rear shocks and compressor might need replacing/overhaul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972