2015 Yukon XL Fox vs OEM ride quality?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mondaytown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have searched the forum but can’t find an exact answer so hoping someone has tried the fox or similar suspension that can weigh in.

I recently picked up a 2015 Yukon XL SLT with auto ride. Had a blown trans and 200,000 miles. I am building it into a family road trip vehicle with the intention of pulling a 7k-8k travel trailer across country. But I’d like to also be able to hit some trails with it.

Planning to do 31-33” tires on 17 or 18” rims.

I don’t want a huge lift, just enough to give it some extra clearance. My 2 main concerns are ride quality and load leveling.

I’ve called around to see what options there are and it seems like most say to delete the air suspension and put a 3” to 4” lift with air bags. Will I improve OEM ride quality with that if I go with fox 2.5 shocks? Or am I better to replace all the shocks with the same factory air ride and do a lift made to keep the factory suspension?

Specifically I’m looking to improve factory ride quality with the investment of fox shocks with a small lift. But if it’s not a noticeable improvement I probably will just keep OEM stuff.

My brother did fox 3.0 shocks and a four inch lift on his jeep gladiator and we feel like it’s better than the raptor. Different application here but hoping to see if similar results can be found on the Tahoe.

Last edited:

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at other posts on this forum it probably runs about 60/40, 60% to keep the factory ride quality with a lift and 40% to delete it. Personally, I would go with ride quality especially if you have a family. Good luck with your decision.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've seen lots of folks on here run a 275-65-20 on your K2s with just a level.

Since you're hauling and towing, I would keep the suspension as close to stock as possible, meaning, not add a lift. You might change the shocks and struts over to your favorites and with a level and some spacers under the rear springs, get most of your height with taller tires. There are tons of recipes on here with your truck and lots of photos.

Remember, the more stuff you add, heavier wheels, tires, lift components, takes away from your payload.

When you get that transmission fixed, "flip the pill" or put in a lower temperature transmission thermostat so it will last. Get a billet torque converter with the improved Sonnax parts since you are towing.

SavageDad

Reaction score
We've seen lots of folks on here run a 275-65-20 on your K2s with just a level.

Since you're hauling and towing, I would keep the suspension as close to stock as possible, meaning, not add a lift. You might change the shocks and struts over to your favorites and with a level and some spacers under the rear springs, get most of your height with taller tires. There are tons of recipes on here with your truck and lots of photos.

Remember, the more stuff you add, heavier wheels, tires, lift components, takes away from your payload.

When you get that transmission fixed, "flip the pill" or put in a lower temperature transmission thermostat so it will last. Get a billet torque converter with the improved Sonnax parts since you are towing.
I'm still a noob on suspension but I worked in transmissions for years, the number one thing I told customers is to add an aftermarket cooler if you're planning on doing any towing at all. They aren't very expensive and they'll pay for themselves many times over in the long run.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can call ADS racing and they have a 2.5 front and rear set up.

If you tell them what type of driving you do they will tune the shocks accordingly.
Fox won’t do that and king requires you to know what valve stack to put in

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpeg
    IMG_0204.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 23

SavageDad

Reaction score
You can call ADS racing and they have a 2.5 front and rear set up.

If you tell them what type of driving you do they will tune the shocks accordingly.
Fox won’t do that and king requires you to know what valve stack to put in
Awesome, I knew somebody out there had to be more customer oriented in the suspension world...I assume most of us don't know squat about valving shocks.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m fairly well versed and I’m still an idiot.

The GM of ADS has a Yukon, so he developed the shocks for his own vehicle. So extra Gucci design that we all benefit from.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a discount code set up when i was advertising for them:“juicier”

I don’t know if they are still honoring it. Doesn’t hurt to ask if they are still (and they will call me and tell me to stop it lol)

OP
OP
M

Mondaytown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m fairly well versed and I’m still an idiot.

The GM of ADS has a Yukon, so he developed the shocks for his own vehicle. So extra Gucci design that we all benefit from.
Oh that’s awesome. I will look that one up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt