2015 Yukon Denali dropped lifter at 77k miles

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by SuperOldSchool, Sep 7, 2019.

1. SuperOldSchool

SuperOldSchool Member

Name:
    Jack
    Filled up at gas station and pulling back out onto the road when I get a flashing CEL, stabilitrack and rough running engine.

Got it 2 miles home and called dealer in am. Said to have it towed in.

#6 cylinder had a failed lifter. Replaced under warranty.

Now notice a coolant smell. Not sure if it’s just some that leaked out during the repair and it’s burning off the motor or if their head gasket replacement was done poorly.

I am going to call dealer and have them note the smell starting after this repair so it’s recorded. I’ll see if the smell is still there in about a week and report back...

Dealer was great , no hassles, just replaced under power train warranty . I asked what the out of pocket would have been. They told me $3500.

These trucks will suck you dry on repairs once warranty is up...

2. SuperOldSchool

SuperOldSchool Member

Name:
    Jack
    Car is back from dealer and runs fine. They asked me to drop it back there to check for coolant leaks due to the new coolant smell.

Also now getting nonstop error messages to check:

Park assist
    Trailer braking
    Side detection
    Airbag
    Theft deterrent
    Rear camera

So.... something is shorted or loose .

This vehicle is amazing when it runs well, but man, so many issues.

I really wish Toyota or Honda made a similarly sized truck to the XL. The Honda, Toyota and Nissan vehicles I have owned were leaps and bounds better with reliability. Routine maintenance was all that was ever needed.

3. ChrisYukon

ChrisYukon Member

Name:
    Chris
    $3,500? That’s why you take stuff like that to a local mechanic rather than the dealer. (Once it’s out of warranty.)

4. SuperOldSchool

SuperOldSchool Member

Name:
    Jack
    Yes, I would have , but it was covered and I wanted to know what the dealer would sting you for, so I asked.

The error messages were due to a failed neg battery cable. Was yielding too much resistance and causing sensor issues.