2015 Yukon - Change both diffs' oil and transfer case fluid early on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sharing my experience with everyone. 2015 Yukon Denali with 39k miles.

I changed the gear oil in both differentials and the transfer case fluid today. Used Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 and their Synthetic ATF, which is compatible with Dexron VI. I wish I had done this at 5k or 10k miles. See below...

The transfer case fluid was still red and not too dirty. No pics of the fluid, but here was the magnetic plug before and after.
View media item 26465
View media item 26466

The rear diff fluid was a little dark, but still transluscent. Not too much paste on the magnetic plug. The cover and diff gears were a little dirty, so I sprayed them with brake cleaner to remove the black coating.

View media item 26463
View media item 26464

The front diff was the shocker! Oil looked like gray paint with a good amount of metal paste on the magnetic drain plug. I rarely drive in Auto or 4WD, so not sure how this came to be. Glad I changed it!

View media item 26469
View media item 26467
View media item 26468
Regards,
SuperOldSchool

salanizi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wouldn't changing the diff oil cause the new light oil not to be thick enough to compensate for the wear of the metal parts and thus cause premature failure of the diff components?

I thought general mechanical knowledge is that diff oils are better not replaced...???

OP
OP
SuperOldSchool

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't changing the diff oil cause the new light oil not to be thick enough to compensate for the wear of the metal parts and thus cause premature failure of the diff components?

I thought general mechanical knowledge is that diff oils are better not replaced...???

I have never heard that. In every 4wd vehicle I've had, I have always changed that oil at some point. It's a maintenance item.

Last edited:

Tungsten2016lt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What about tranny fluid. What weights for transfer case and rear end. Will be buying amsoil oils too. My tahoe has 47k miles now.

OP
OP
SuperOldSchool

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I listed the gear oil and trans fluid (for transfer case) in the first post....this is a 2015 Yukon with 8 speed.

The 8L90 transmission requires Dexron-HP spec fluid. I have read the trans fluid swap is not as straight forward as days past. I've always done my own cars in the past, but may leave this one to the dealer at 45k. ( GM replaced my trans at 15k, so I'll be ready when odometer hits 60k)

Read this:http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/179503-8-speed-oil-level/

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
Hi everybody, Either I'm not seeing it or I'm just stupid, but I have 65000 miles on my 2015 Tahoe LT and I'd like to change the Transfer fluid, and the front differentials, What kind of Fluids or oils am I going to need and what the procedure, I did a search and this seemed like a good spot for me to ask this question, and My truck has a posi-traction 3:08 in the rear was a rental/ lease vehicle, so I have no idea what kind of life it lad. Thank you !

Last edited:

Flyboygt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
from what i can find:

Front diff Amsoil Severe Gear 3 pints
Rear Diff Amsoil Severe Gear 5.5 pints
T-Case Amsoil Signature Synthetic ATF 3.2 pints

info found on their website
https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-...-3l-8-cyl-engine-code-c-l83-c-flex/us-volume/

I would suggest new gaskets for front and rear diff covers. you will need to research your vehicle to figure out what axles you have for the seals.

As for a write up to complete all these... start searching. sorry.

Diff fluid is easy. remove the diff cover bolts on the bottom first then loosen all the rest of the bolts and it all comes pouring out. clean RG and Diff and housing with brake cleaner. install new gasket and cover. fill through filler plug.

T-case- i havent been under the ** yet to see where the drain and fill plugs are but probably the only 2 screw caps on the case, one on bottom other prob on the side.

a hand pump is handy to have to get the fluid into tight spots. something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Plews-586430...t=&hvlocphy=9033151&hvtargid=pla-764078689165

good luck

OP
OP
SuperOldSchool

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Original poster update.
I’m at 94k and just did my transfer case and both differentials again today - 55k on the oils.

front diff oil was spotless - still golden in color and transparent. Very little paste on plug:
04E76DA9-9809-446C-B786-957BE13E3424.jpeg

Transfer case plug had a little paste, fluid cherry red:

B7EF8388-09D5-432B-8C98-898019970294.jpeg

Rear diff plug had barely any paste. Cover had some dark oxidation, but not as much as the 39k change. Fluid was translucent, but a little dark:

CDF83D56-4485-4D07-8CA6-E310B5BAC3ED.jpeg

I do not tow and drive a good mix of stop and go and highway.

Conclusion for my habits and experience is to change the factory fill early (I waited until 39k, but next time I’ll do it around 15-20k) then again 60k later. Then I’d leave it be. The condition this time was so good, I didn’t really need to do it.

Hope you guys are seeing similar results with your changes.

Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 in differentials and Valvoline synthetic Dexron VI in the transfer case.

Good fluids will last a long time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt