2015 + Weld-in Exhaust Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L's Truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to single out all Borla owners. But I remember the guys in the G8 forum did not like the Borla installs on their cars. Terrible droning was always the comment. Magnaflow was a good alternative. Corsa was the best, but most costly.
FWIW, the G8 GXP and Denali engines share a lot of similarities.

Interesting info on the G8. I feel the body of the Borla muffler was just too small compared to the Magnaflow to suppress a lot of the resonance. I'd love a Corsa muffler but I don't plan on racing anything so I can't justify the cost. I had just a resonator delete on my 09 Denali and that sounded good enough for me. The 12909 swap is pretty close to that.

Did you get tuned yet?

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting info on the G8. I feel the body of the Borla muffler was just too small compared to the Magnaflow to suppress a lot of the resonance. I'd love a Corsa muffler but I don't plan on racing anything so I can't justify the cost. I had just a resonator delete on my 09 Denali and that sounded good enough for me. The 12909 swap is pretty close to that.

Did you get tuned yet?
Yes. Worthwhile investment! I placed my review in the Black Bear vendor section of this forum.
The engine definitely pulls harder and acceleration is instant. The transmission tune is even better.
No more searching for shifts. Highly recommend!

L's Truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Worthwhile investment! I placed my review in the Black Bear vendor section of this forum.
The engine definitely pulls harder and acceleration is instant. The transmission tune is even better.

Thanks! I'll go check it out

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good to hear you like the tune.

BigVette427

Reaction score
The resonator is at the end of the exhaust system before the exhaust tip, but where is the flapper valve? I have the 6.2L and so am interested in the MF 12909, but I really don't want anything obtrusive and am hoping to just swap the mufflers and keep everything else intact.

My first ride in high school was a '71 Chevelle 350 with two glass packs, and I remember what that was like. For the Denali, I want a little more exhaust note, but no drone and when cruising and moving back and forth between V8 and V4 mode, nothing annoying. Do you think this MF 12909 will fit that bill?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Flapper valve is after muffler. Ive sold many of the mufflkers and installed best bang for buck.

You will be fine on noise

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on any possible functional advantages, performance or otherwise, in doing the weld in muffler over the full cat-back exhaust or vis-versa? Obviously there is a huge cost benefit but I'm wondering if there is any reason to consider the cat-back if others are reporting sound and performance gains with the muffler swap on its own. Mainly interested on feedback as it relates to the 5.3l but I would assume the any pros and cons would apply to both the 5.3l and 6.2l.

BigVette427

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on any possible functional advantages, performance or otherwise, in doing the weld in muffler over the full cat-back exhaust or vis-versa? Obviously there is a huge cost benefit but I'm wondering if there is any reason to consider the cat-back if others are reporting sound and performance gains with the muffler swap on its own. Mainly interested on feedback as it relates to the 5.3l but I would assume the any pros and cons would apply to both the 5.3l and 6.2l.
Unless you are looking for certain exhaust tips, I'm not sure there is much value to be had with a cat back on these Tahoe/Yukon exhaust systems. With the 6.2's they come with 3.5" pipe and I certainly would not want to put a cat back exhaust on that went down to 3" pipes.

From a functional standpoint, swapping the OE suitcase muffler for a free-flowing muffler with less restriction is going to give you the bulk of any gains. I've done cat back's before and in most part you're paying for a name and the engineering behind it, which depending upon the application, could be worth the money. In this case of my '17 Yukon 6.2, given what I want (no drone and mild sound) and what is there, I don't see any need for a cat back.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed with BigVette427.
Having a suburban with the 5.3, I for one think the 6.2 actually sounds much more decent as far as tone.
A family member has a 15 Escalade that I'm really familiar and you can actually hear a nice tone upon start up. Mine is as quiet as an old super muffled town car.

hundhaus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 Denali Callaway SC560. I hate the magna flow muffler that Callaway put on this thing when compared to my Denali XL with a Corsa. My question is this, can I run the Corsa being that it is a 3" or am I looking for trouble? The Corsa on my 2015 Denali XL was a 3" all the way to the back. I called Corsa and they told me they only make a 3.5 inch for the pick ups. Any advice? Love the Corsa sound.

I should note my concern is air flow with the supercharger running through 3" rather than the 3.5

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts