2015 Transmission Problem/Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommyd123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like my 2015 Yukon XL SLT with about 100k miles is having transmission problems. Symptoms are very noisy gears/whining when moving slow and in 1st and 2nd gears. Trans fluid levels are normal. Does this sound like a common precursor to transmission failure?

If so, is a reman unit from Jasper a good bet? Local shop says that they are rebuilt with better parts. I haul a rv a lot, so a better trans with a good warranty is a plus. Any other good replacement recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like my 2015 Yukon XL SLT with about 100k miles is having transmission problems. Symptoms are very noisy gears/whining when moving slow and in 1st and 2nd gears. Trans fluid levels are normal. Does this sound like a common precursor to transmission failure?

If so, is a reman unit from Jasper a good bet? Local shop says that they are rebuilt with better parts. I haul a rv a lot, so a better trans with a good warranty is a plus. Any other good replacement recommendations?

How many times have you changed your fluid? I would change it before replacing the whole unit. Should have been changed at least twice by now.

OP
OP
T

Tommyd123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need some advice from the experts on here. Changed transmission fluid and filter yesterday in hopes that it might breathe some more life in the transmission. Took it on a short drive and experienced the same problems...the engine had to rev to about 1500 rpms before the transmission would send power to the wheels. Also, and this is the wierdest part, the car would drive forward AND backwards while in gear. I’ll put the car in reverse and it’ll accelerate forward slowly while at idle, and then reverse after the engine speed increases. It then will move forward once the engine speed approaches idle again. Changing the transmission fluid and finger went pretty straightforward, except trying to get the pan to clear the exhaust. Is there anything obvious I could have done to cause this weird issue? Planning on taking it to the dealership today for some recall stuff, going to ask them to try and read some transmission codes and maybe reflash in hopes for a last ditch effort before I take it to a transmission shop and expect to replace the transmission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Need some advice from the experts on here. Changed transmission fluid and filter yesterday in hopes that it might breathe some more life in the transmission. Took it on a short drive and experienced the same problems...the engine had to rev to about 1500 rpms before the transmission would send power to the wheels. Also, and this is the wierdest part, the car would drive forward AND backwards while in gear. I’ll put the car in reverse and it’ll accelerate forward slowly while at idle, and then reverse after the engine speed increases. It then will move forward once the engine speed approaches idle again. Changing the transmission fluid and finger went pretty straightforward, except trying to get the pan to clear the exhaust. Is there anything obvious I could have done to cause this weird issue? Planning on taking it to the dealership today for some recall stuff, going to ask them to try and read some transmission codes and maybe reflash in hopes for a last ditch effort before I take it to a transmission shop and expect to replace the transmission.

Maybe Rockola1971 will chime in or you can PM him as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14