2015 Tahoe Dying While Driving, Fuel Gauge Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe, 4WD
115k miles

One day, the fuel gauge stopped displaying accurate level, was 95% full but displaying at-or-near E with low fuel light on. Topped tank off to 100%, gauge did not move.

Three days later, gauge isn't working still and it dies while driving. In the two hours it takes for a tow truck to arrive, I attempted to start it every 15-20 minutes or so. Just spins, won't crank. Once or twice it would crank but barely; hard idle, died within seconds. Towed to shop.

Next morning, shop calls and says truck started absolutely fine, idled for an hour fine. No OBDII codes, nothing. I go to pick it up the next day, truck starts perfectly. Gauge still not reading accurately.

Drive about 15 miles, dies on highway. Dies, same symptoms, will not crank at all. Gas is still good, because all in all less than 50 miles have been driven since the full tank. Towed to dealer.

Dealer calls the next day and says they added a gallon of gas and it started right up, that fuel level is low, and they drove and put 3 more gallons in and it is idling fine now, and that fuel gauge is at half tank. Their assessment is that the truck was bone dry out of gas and that adding gas was the solution.

I told them the scenarios and that the gauge isn't working. They insist it was empty and that idling after adding gas proves that, despite me telling them it starts and idles fine every time after sitting overnight. Nevermind the simple logic that if it was bone dry, adding four gallons of gas wouldn't bring the gas gauge to half. They supposedly started it and idled it the next day and it started and ran fine (as it always does after sitting overnight), so they're calling it good.

Going to go pick it up tomorrow, probably won't make it home based on the drive time before it dies again, so I'll have to pull off the road, leave it disabled on the side of the road for the night, and then go start it the next day and finish the trip because I'm $400 into it just in tow bills already and don't need anymore.

Anyways, thoughts on these symptoms? The truck dying makes me think that of fuel, spark, air, that is is fuel since the gas gauge is not properly displaying as well. l am shooting in the dark that it is a fuel sending unit.

I talked to a few really good friends, some of who are Master Techs for other brands and have been around the block. Their only concern is with just slapping a fuel pump on it, that the gas gauge not displaying properly maybe indicative of a larger system overall having issues. And as I understand it these things have a high pressure fuel pump at the engine.

Really bummed because even if I had a mechanic friend slap a fuel pump on it it doesn't really instill confidence that it has resolved the overall issue. When you don't have confidence in your car there's not much difference between a lack of confidence in a running car versus a car on jack stands in the driveway missing the engine and four wheels, since I'm not going to put my wife and family in it unless I am fairly certainly it is 100% fixed.

Thanks in advance for any input.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump is in the module that is in the fuel tank. Not sure what you mean by just spinning and no crank. If your fuel pump module is bad the engine should still crank. You can check the fuel pressure at the rail on the engine when this happens, you should see pressure when cranking. Something also doesn't make sense, if you had a full tank the dealer would not be able to put another 3 or 4 gallons in it. Maybe take it to another dealer to have them run a full diagnostic on it,

OP
OP
battlewagon

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump is in the module that is in the fuel tank. Not sure what you mean by just spinning and no crank. If your fuel pump module is bad the engine should still crank. You can check the fuel pressure at the rail on the engine when this happens, you should see pressure when cranking. Something also doesn't make sense, if you had a full tank the dealer would not be able to put another 3 or 4 gallons in it. Maybe take it to another dealer to have them run a full diagnostic on it,
The 50 miles is approximate, but regardless the four gallons or so they said they put in is within reason in my mind based on the mileage driven between the gauge failing and before the first failure, idling for over an hour at the fist restart after the initial failure, 15-20 miles driven again after initial failure, etc.

When I pick it up tomorrow I'm going to stop at the gas station across the street and top it off, if for nothing else, to discredit the dealer who thinks the truck is empty and we ran out of gas. I bet the fuel is actually at 85%-90% full right now.

When I say spinning, I mean when turning the key, the truck is doing everything it is supposed to be doing starting, other than firing up. Starter is spinning the flywheel, crank etc. Just not firing up.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, stop by your local auto parts store and get a pressure gage, (Free Tool Loaner) then you can check your fuel pressure at the rail. This will at least tell you if you have fuel pressure at the rails and the pump is working. Sounds like you may need to take it to another dealer, maybe a GMC instead of Chevy or vice versa. There are some diagnostics they can run and try to find your issues, I agree with you, just putting gas in it and telling you it's find is not really an answer.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 you should have direct injection motor. Your fuel module in the tank is a lift pump to bring fuel to the engine and then the high pressure pump on the engine is what directs fuel to the injectors. Sounds like your lift pump is not working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345