2015 Tahoe Brake Squeak? Edit: Wheel Bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bighurk

Reaction score
Hello all, hopefully I posted this in the right place. Recently I started hearing my brakes squeak and I thought it was the brake pads being thin so I changed them but now they are still squeaking. I have ruled it out to just the front right but while the truck is moving forward the squeak is extremely loud and unbearable. When I hit the brakes that’s when it starts to stop. I have checked it again and again but cannot seem to figure it out.

Has anyone have had similar issues or can let me know what can be the potential problem?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have the rotors re-surfaced or did you replace them? Follow the mfg's break-in procedure? Use brake grease?

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
I only replaced the pads. But this problem surface before changing them and previously when I brought it to the dealership they had checked the brake pads and we knew they were a little low.

And yes I did use brake grease.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on the rig?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, it sounds like the brake wear indicator (the squealer). They squeal, when the brakes are worn down (high-pitched), until you put the brakes on. Did the tone change slightly from the old pads to the new or remain the same? It may be that when you put the new pads on, you put them on wrong (squealer on the top vs on the bottom) or bent it. It should not be touching the rotor (at least not until the pads wear down a lot). Take the tires off and spin the rotors, see where the noise is coming from.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as stated above also check that the thin metal retainer/clip is not bent so it is touching the rotor, mine was doing that a while back, freaking annoying, it would squeak unless you had your foot on the brake basically.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
To me, it sounds like the brake wear indicator (the squealer). They squeal, when the brakes are worn down (high-pitched), until you put the brakes on. Did the tone change slightly from the old pads to the new or remain the same? It may be that when you put the new pads on, you put them on wrong (squealer on the top vs on the bottom) or bent it. It should not be touching the rotor (at least not until the pads wear down a lot). Take the tires off and spin the rotors, see where the noise is coming from.
I have taken the wheel off and spin the rotor but still can’t seem to hear anything but I will try again. Thanks!

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
as stated above also check that the thin metal retainer/clip is not bent so it is touching the rotor, mine was doing that a while back, freaking annoying, it would squeak unless you had your foot on the brake basically.
This sounds like me right now, so I will check the clips and see if they are bent. Hopefully that is the issue

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it continue once depressed or is it only when you move the pedal?