2015 Tahoe 3-5 drop towing with 24” or 26”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff laing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s about that season where I get my fishing boat back out, as of right now I have 24s but I am selling my black wheels and going with a silver machined wheel. I wanted to go to a 26” with a 295-30-26 but That’s a pretty thin tire and I’m not sure how they would do towing a boat or even for a 2-4 hr trip. The boat is only 21’ and maybe 3000 but never weighed. I don’t want to have to worry about blowouts or damages especially to an expensive wheel like that, other wise I’ll order a 24” again with a 295-35-24. Anyone with experience your info would be appreciated.

2016YUKONSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are asking...

But I have 2/3 drop kit on 24" and tow with no issues. I did a 13 hour trip last summer to Arkansas and back to STL and didn't even notice the trailer behind me.

OP
OP
J

jeff laing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are asking...

But I have 2/3 drop kit on 24" and tow with no issues. I did a 13 hour trip last summer to Arkansas and back to STL and didn't even notice the trailer behind me.

I guess I was asking if anyone has towed with26” wheels and if issues. I have 24s now but Thinking about going to a 26”, but the profile worries me with bumps etc

2016YUKONSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the sidewall gets smaller, you will feel more bumps. I've considered buying a set of 22" to see how much of a ride difference there is over my 24". My stock wheels are 20"

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pic of the boat? What I have pictured you could tow behind pretty much anything.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the ride difference between 24 and 22 for me it was easily noticeable. My buddy has 24’s and I felt ever bump. But he doesn’t have the softest compound tires. That had a lot to do with it. If it’s just for towing I’d go with the most sidewall I can. My boat is just over 4300 lbs with trailer and the 305/40/22 rides fine.

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow sometimes with a 3/5 drop on 26's and have no issues. Yeah it rides a little stiff but that's normal. As long as you have correct tire pressure you should be ok. I also have helper air bags in the rear to level it out with the weight of my trailer or camper. Sometimes I'll throw my 22's on if I'm going on a long drive just to be a little more comfortable.

OP
OP
J

jeff laing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow sometimes with a 3/5 drop on 26's and have no issues. Yeah it rides a little stiff but that's normal. As long as you have correct tire pressure you should be ok. I also have helper air bags in the rear to level it out with the weight of my trailer or camper. Sometimes I'll throw my 22's on if I'm going on a long drive just to be a little more comfortable.
Great info I appreciate it!

OP
OP
J

jeff laing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not very big, 21’ and aluminum trailer. I’m assuming 3-4K. With my new wheels I did decide to stick with 24 again... just to be safe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd