2015 or 2016,..Tahoe or Yukon???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am very close to purchasing one of these vehicles.

2015 GMC Yukon SLT w/ 34000 miles
2016 Chevrolet Tahoe LT w/ 47000 miles.

The 2016 Tahoe will be slightly less because it lacks many if the features the Yukon has such as Blue Ray player/sunroof/air conditioned seats/heated back seats(captain chairs v/s bench),power rear seats.

I am leaning toward the Tahoe because it is 1 year newer and I very slightly prefer the looks of the Tahoe over the Yukon my wife prefers the Yukon because of the creature comforts but also would be fine with the Lesser equipped Tahoe.

There are two questions that if I could get you guys to way in on would really help us make our decision.

1.) Are there any changes/updates from 2015 to 2016 that would make the newer Tahoe a better choice?
2.) Any reason to pick Tahoe over Yukon or vice verses?

Thanks guys!:)

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were small updates on the 2015.5 models which were built after October 15, 2014 which included wireless phone charging, kick open rear liftgate(LTZ and LT with luxury package), 4g LTE wi-fi hotspot and apple car play for 2016. I guess it all depends on what options are important to you and your wife. Good luck with your decision and enjoy.

Last edited:

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe or Yukon, you should get the one that you like better.

What color is the shark fin on the Yukon? Is it black or body colored?

Be sure to test drive your vehicle and have it thoroughly checked out by a mechanic you trust.

Run a CarFax report.

If they were daily rentals, RUN!!!!!!!! Just look at this video as proof.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe there were some transmission changes between 15-16 they went from a 6 speed to a 8 speed, check the vin number online to verify as some dealers cant seem to figure it out on there own (they just assume)

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
We were in the same dilemma back in 06. Three or four of my in laws were purchasing either Burb's or the Tahoe. We were closest to the GMC dealer so we hit them first. First impression, the amenities. 2nd impression was the 6.0 and AWD that eliminated all the float on take off in the rain. We don't get much of it, but when it comes, all the fuel residue on the roads makes a 2.5 ton vehicle "exciting" to drive for a while. In 2014 we purchased a one owner 08 Yuke XL 96K loaded with every bell and whistle except power running boards, lol. We're at 125K now wrapped up in another 15K of service contract that's paid for $5.5K of full dealer priced repair.

1) If the GMC pans out mechanically always go for the lesser mileage vehicle unless you're specifically familiar to it. If it has ANY of the factory warranty left you have a golden ticket to your pocket book. A trip to a mechanic before purchase will ensure anything and all is fixed on the factory before you buy. All those fixes will also come with a 1yr/10K warr.

If you have a kid, the captains chairs are a must because it's a PITA to wrestle with car seats with a bench. When we had two little kids my wife would kick it in the captain chair and have full access to the 3rd row and other 2nd row for bottle time without unbuckling.

2) All my in laws traded down to smaller vehicles eventually. They wanted newer nicer cars. People who purchase well equipped vehicles tend to keep them longer. My buddy's 2015 Silverado HD 2x cab 6.6 diesel has the heated/cooled seats. If you can get them, get em. Not only do they chillax the driver on hot days, it's a plus for resale. The rear heated seats used to put out kids to sleep when they were out of the car seats. Lastly if you're not getting XL, the magneride/Z55 package/autoride is a huge plus in the ride of the shorter wheel base trucks. The package on the Denali you're describing is either a 2 or $3k upgrade. You may have the speed sensing cruise control too. If it has the shiftable 6SP trans w/ OD, that's a plus. 8 speed is new and in there to reach the new mandated EPA mileage requirements.

If the Tahoe suits the bill, makes muster and fits the budget, do it. You'll enjoy them both. Fewer owners are better too. Happy wife, happy life!

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me I would try to find a 2016 Tahoe with the luxury package. Not sure on your time restraints or location. A large Chevrolet-GMC dealership [got mine at Schumacher Chevrolet GMC] should have no issues locating one for you.

I do not have a issue buying a vehicle with higher then normal mileage as long as I have every single service record. If the vehicle was serviced every 5K miles by the dealer it is probably a good vehicle. As others also said have it checked out by a real good independent mechanic just to be sure.

OP
OP
N

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Yukon is black and so is the shark fin,...curious what difference this makes?

I have found online that the Yukon has 100lbs. less towing capacity as the Tahoe. 100lbs. is not very much just thought it was interesting as I will be towing a boat a lot with which ever I choose.

After some research, it seems the Yukon has been in the area at a couple of different dealers for sale the last couple of years,...I guess that explains the low mileage on a 2015 year model(34,***). I am a little concerned that it has been so difficult to sale. I drove the Yukon on the interstate and around town and didn't notice any problems.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Yukon is black and so is the shark fin,...curious what difference this makes?

I have found online that the Yukon has 100lbs. less towing capacity as the Tahoe. 100lbs. is not very much just thought it was interesting as I will be towing a boat a lot with which ever I choose.

After some research, it seems the Yukon has been in the area at a couple of different dealers for sale the last couple of years,...I guess that explains the low mileage on a 2015 year model(34,***). I am a little concerned that it has been so difficult to sale. I drove the Yukon on the interstate and around town and didn't notice any problems.
if it drives ok and doesn't do anything weird it could have simply been the price, was the price dropped recently?, did you look at the carfax?

OP
OP
N

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Carfax is clean,....price was $48,*** and now is $44,***.

I can find lesser equipped 2017 Tahoe's with similar miles for around the same price. I am having a hard time spending this much on a 4 year old Yukon. I guess it comes down to how important the "fancy" stuff is. I think I may throw out a super low offer and see what happens. Luckily there are several Tahoe's/Yukon's for sale in my area.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Carfax is clean,....price was $48,*** and now is $44,***.

I can find lesser equipped 2017 Tahoe's with similar miles for around the same price. I am having a hard time spending this much on a 4 year old Yukon. I guess it comes down to how important the "fancy" stuff is. I think I may throw out a super low offer and see what happens. Luckily there are several Tahoe's/Yukon's for sale in my area.
What part of the country are you located in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts