2015 Navigation GPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Foye

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe Z71 new to me. The infotainment system is all working (phone and radio) but the navigation is not. When I push the Nav button to open it up my car is shown in some geography that is not mine and the GPS icon in the upper right has a red X thru it. I called the number in the owners manual and they walked me thru some simple tests and told me that I wouod have to either set up an onstar account (I don't think this is correct) or I should go online and (GMNAVDISC.com) and get the update. I went online and saw that the update is for maps. I then entered into a chat and was told that the update would not fix my problem and I would have to visit a dealer.
Any thoughts or ideas?

Dooba

Reaction score
We had this exact problem that was because of a leaking/faulty antenna. It was replaced under warranty.

ctahoe09

Reaction score
Yup it's the antenna. I had the same issue with mine. Dealer was charging me $550 to fix. There are some YouTube videos that show you how to replace it for about $80 bucks if you order the antenna from Ebay or Amazon.

lrrys07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had same problem. Red X and geography way off. It was a bad antenna.

duburjl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had my 2015 Sierra pick up in for a failed GPS, red light on the mirror onstar, no compass. Service department indicated a telematic control module code B101D indicating a internal faulty onstar module (looking this up and you'll come up with a air bag fault). They would like to replace the module at a $842.00 cost. I believe that the antenna is faulty. When the factory installed the antenna the gasket was installed with the weep hole on the up side of the antenna. Whats wrong with that statement? Look at any newer GM antenna and the gasket has the weep hole on the bottom. I believe the antenna has failed due to corrosion! I'll replace it first with a $49.00 unit off the interweb and get back to all.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 16 Suburban (without the Nav). The compass was off and OnStar had me in a different location.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FALSE. You don't need an Onstar account for the navigation to work.
I get my turn-by-turn navigation from Onstar and my traffic & XM weather through Sirius/XM. At one time I let the Onstar subscription lapse and I had no turn-by-turn nav - so I think that it's Onstar that's providing it. Maybe others have it running through their phones?