2015 LT Roof Rack Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike12193

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good Afternoon All, Does anyone know how to remove the factory roof rack? Not the cross rails, the rails that run the length of the roof. I am a little apprehensive about prying up the ends of the rails.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know if you remove the rails, there will be holes in the roof, right?? I would imagine that if you pull the inner roof liner, it will expose some bolts that anchor down the rails.

jmitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a rental today at the office so I pulled up the front rubber of the rail and here's what it looks like inside...
20141017_142919.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Looks like reaching in with a screwdriver will pop the clips apart. This was the same clip at the back end as well. I can't wait for someone to do the '15 Escalade roof rack swap. Hmmmm.....maybe I will :)

Turbotoys

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually started tearing mine off - but put it back together until i can locate a weather strip that will run in the gutter once the rack is off. there are bolts from the inside and requires you to drop the head liner. ill see if i can find my pics and post them. It looks pretty sweet with them off....

If you look in the pic below you just pull up on the rubber and it will unclip but that just holds the rubber/plastic trim piece on around the rack. We need to find a trim piece like the one i put an arrow on below

roof.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

I cant find the exterior pics i took with them off but I found a pic with the headliner down and ready to unbolt them. See red arrows - there is a few above the front headliner as well.

And yes I was adding B-Quiet to the roof skin as well.

roof1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mike12193

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!! If you have any more pics please post.

I too dropped my headliner and saw the bolts. I wonder if the 2015 PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle) has the weatherstrip/molding that would fit in the channel because that model does not come with a roof rack. Anyone know?

kcb14214

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any luck finding weatherstripping to cover after removal? Width and height?

kcb14214

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm gonna try and take that outer rubber/plastic layer off mine and figure out what I need to do. Those clips in the photo, what do you think, flathead screwdriver pushing down from on top of those grey tabs?

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched my truck get built, and I can tell you a couple things:
1) the rails are up on very early in the build process.
2) when they are installed, the rails a set on the roof, then secured from the inside.
3) as a result, the headline will need to be removed for access to the training nuts.
4) I think there are 4 retainers on each side.

tenminutes

Reaction score
I watched my truck get built, and I can tell you a couple things:
1) the rails are up on very early in the build process.
2) when they are installed, the rails a set on the roof, then secured from the inside.
3) as a result, the headline will need to be removed for access to the training nuts.
4) I think there are 4 retainers on each side.

Very helpful. For an update, I actually applied gloss black vinyl to them last night and I'm pretty proud of myself. It looks great and was super easy in comparison.

Now onto the Denali rear hatch Chrome piece. I just realized today my SLT doesn't have a painted part, it's just part of the vehicle whereas the Denali has a chrome cover of sorts. Does anyone know the process of getting that thing off the vehicle so I can assess if it is smooth black under there or if I'm going to need to powdercoat this chrome OEM trim piece?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission