2015 Denali vs 2016 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lived in queens New York with my 2008 Escalade and kept it until 2021. We had 3 record blizzard and I never got stuck. Even my 2008 C300 got stuck and it was AWD. Maybe it was the 22” rims that helped. I also had the 2003 until 2009 ESV AWD and I had to take the car to the dealer twice before hitting 100k for a transmission rebuild & torque converter. I said I would not own a 4x4 or AWD again unless I move to Alaska. I would stay away from the 8-speed. You hear so much crap about it on every forum. You don’t hear anything about the 10 speed. I have the 10 speed and it is great. I get great gas mileage.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes if you don’t want/need 4WD and are ok with a 2WD model you can save $3K +/-.

Most people don't need 4WD like they think they do. Those people also usually ride around with it in "Auto" on dry pavement and smoke the front differential by 80k miles. While I don't live up north and never will, I'd bet money quality winter tires on a 2WD will outperform a 4WD with all seasons (but obviously not winter tires on a 4WD). My great aunt live just outside of Chicago and drove a RWD Mercury Cougar for well over 10 years through the winters. I will never buy a 4WD unless it is just the right truck otherwise and it is a good deal and even then I'd consider converting it to 2WD. 2WD gets better fuel economy, has two less very expensive driveline components to fail, nothing in the way of oil pan reseals, cooler line replacements, engine mount replacements, etc. All that is to say, 2WD is a big desire for some people.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people don't need 4WD like they think they do. Those people also usually ride around with it in "Auto" on dry pavement and smoke the front differential by 80k miles. While I don't live up north and never will, I'd bet money quality winter tires on a 2WD will outperform a 4WD with all seasons (but obviously not winter tires on a 4WD). My great aunt live just outside of Chicago and drove a RWD Mercury Cougar for well over 10 years through the winters. I will never buy a 4WD unless it is just the right truck otherwise and it is a good deal and even then I'd consider converting it to 2WD. 2WD gets better fuel economy, has two less very expensive driveline components to fail, nothing in the way of oil pan reseals, cooler line replacements, engine mount replacements, etc. All that is to say, 2WD is a big desire for some people.

I agree with you 100%. A good set of winter tires can make a huge difference on any vehicle; 2WD or 4WD. As you mentioned can enable most 2WD vehicles to perform very well in winter conditions. There are certainly some maintenance advantages with 2WD models vs. 4WD. My '15 Denali XL is 4WD and in 5 yrs. of ownership I've only had it in 4WD maybe 4-5 times, so maybe once a year? Even in those conditions I didn't HAVE to have it in 4WD but used it since I had it. I never roll around in auto 4WD for the reasons you mention and always advise against; I'm either in 2WD or 4WD no auto.

I only mentioned it because it seems the 2015-2020 K2XX SUV's that are 2WD are about $3K +/- cheaper than the 4WD models. If it's not needed or wanted then save the $ and maintenance.

SSpinball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my deciding factor was interior color, 80% suv's are black interior maybe less in Denali,
once you have brown interior, you will need consider a black interior SUV again,
especially in hot climate areas.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true. I’ve lost money selling vehicles that did not have black interiors because I thought I could used used to it. Brown and gray interiors age so horribly that alone is good enough reason for me to pass but I think they’re usually ugly the way GM does them. Tint the windows with high quality tint that blocks heat and it isn’t a problem. I’ve learned my lesson and will never buy anything but black interiors again.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I can’t wait unfortunately, my wife totaled her 2015 suburban LTZ in a flood last week and we need to turn in the rental the insurance provided on Wednesday. Also considering an escalate. What seems strange is the 2015 escalate doesn’t seem to have the same bad reviews yet has the same 8 speed tranny and 6.2 V8. The Denali I’m looking at is a single owner and only serviced at the dealership, 55k miles. My budget is 40k which limits me a bit
Do bear in mind that the Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade are all made in the same plant in Alliance Texas. They roll off the line one after the other... Any differences in consumer complaints would be related to quirky or unreliable options that one vehicle has and the other does not. That said, the 8 speed transmission is a POS but with proper care and updates many folks find it acceptable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287