2015-2020 PPV/SSV Best Mods? Civilanization? Lets Start a Sticky!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Brought home my new toy, an AWESOME 2018 4WD PPV Tahoe!! Super stoked, 1 of only 4 that Chicago Motors has sold in it's lifetime. It's actually still listed on their site and on Ebay if you want to check it out.

My God the GEN4 is a WORLD BETTER than the GEN3, sooooo much more in common already with the civilian version than the GEN3s. 2018s have the bigger center screen, Direct Injection and steering wheel-mounted audio, cruise and Driver Information Center controls! Stupid for some reason it doesn't have volume control?! The motor and tranny no longer are fighting each other, shifting is smooth and AT the redline. The DI motor pulls MUCH MUCH harder, and is more "smooth" when accelerating.

I understand that comparing the '18 to my '09 SSV isn't fair since the SSV is obviously setup for off-road purposes where as the PPV is lower, stiffer and meant for pursuit.

Taking off the LED spotlight (if anyone is interested in buying it just message or email me!) but looking to do some other stuff to the truck, seeing what all everyone is doing to theirs?

BlackoutTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just thought I'd check in and see how your 18 is doing. What mods have you made? I'm picking up a 16 next week.

Geoff bc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Brought home my new toy, an AWESOME 2018 4WD PPV Tahoe!! Super stoked, 1 of only 4 that Chicago Motors has sold in it's lifetime. It's actually still listed on their site and on Ebay if you want to check it out.

My God the GEN4 is a WORLD BETTER than the GEN3, sooooo much more in common already with the civilian version than the GEN3s. 2018s have the bigger center screen, Direct Injection and steering wheel-mounted audio, cruise and Driver Information Center controls! Stupid for some reason it doesn't have volume control?! The motor and tranny no longer are fighting each other, shifting is smooth and AT the redline. The DI motor pulls MUCH MUCH harder, and is more "smooth" when accelerating.

I understand that comparing the '18 to my '09 SSV isn't fair since the SSV is obviously setup for off-road purposes where as the PPV is lower, stiffer and meant for pursuit.

Taking off the LED spotlight (if anyone is interested in buying it just message or email me!) but looking to do some other stuff to the truck, seeing what all everyone is doing to theirs?
How is the suspension on the ppv compared to the SSV ? Handling etc ?

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
Well since my two Tahoes are different platforms, it's hard to compare apples to oranges but with that said, the SSV suspension is noticeably higher off the ground for clearance (prob 8-10") and more squishy and comfortable. My SSV with 5100s was a really really comfy ride, a lil squishy for my liking but overall was awesome. The FIRST THING I noticed about my '18 PPV was how "harsh" the suspension is over cracks/bumps on normal roads, EVEN at low speeds. Now it is tight as hell, I do love that but I was hoping I could add the 5100s to my '18 to soften it up just a lil bit, more forgiving for DDing. I don't tow, I don't plan to ever go off-roading but I do go E-MTBing and will be on dirt roads and two tracks occasionally, so the super stiff PPV suspension leaves a little to be desired.

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the suspension on the ppv compared to the SSV ? Handling etc ?

The PPV suspension is much lower and much much stiffer. Very little body roll and can take corners at much higher speeds. Great for fast driving, not so great for daily driving and comfort.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
Sorry I dont get back here much but wanted to update, I need to post some pics.

Installed the stuff in my signature....here is what I still want to do:

Soften up the suspension (like 20% softer)
Big Brake Upgrade of some sort
Swap in front leather seats (I've heard this can be tricky depending on the options of the seat?)
Wire up all the lights

I do have a bunch of GMT400 and K2 parts for sale, need to list those.