2015-2019 5.3 any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GTO's all have LS motors, LS1 in 2004 and LS2 in 2005/2006. Fbodies got the LS1 in 98.......

The reason people use the 5.3 is cost, LS motors are aluminum block where the 5.3 is iron. Also, SOME people like to use a good iron block is they plan to make HUGE boost levels and are worried about breaking the LS alumimum blocks. But a good alumium block built with forged pistons and rotating assembly should be good up to 1500hp anyway...... Maybe more.
But I had heard that gm stopped using iron bocks. Is that only the 5.3 that has an iron block?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I had heard that gm stopped using iron bocks. Is that only the 5.3 that has an iron block?

I stand corrected it’s the older motors from the 2000’s that were all iron block for truck motors and aluminum for the LS designation. I think your correct that all newer 2015+ maybe? Blocks are all aluminum. Does anyone know?

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected it’s the older motors from the 2000’s that were all iron block for truck motors and aluminum for the LS designation. I think your correct that all newer 2015+ maybe? Blocks are all aluminum. Does anyone know?
Not sure but heard from a mechanic I worked with he said up to 2013 was iron block and anything after aluminium.

Csurp

Reaction score
I bought a 2017 LT 5.3 and the only issue was the ac, fixed under warranty.

Previous car was a Hemi Charger 5.7, and I am still amazed at the power when I stomp the gas in my Tahoe

Friend of mine was telling me to get the 6.2, and I'll agree it's a Beast, but I don't need anymore HP, other than a tune after 60k miles when my warranty expires.

So I'm a happy 5.3 owner, and yes I know that having 53k miles on a 2017 is kinda laughable lol I just don't drive much....

I bought my 2017 Tahoe LT new in October 2017. It was a dealer demo with 5k miles on it but sold as new.

I had rear AC issues twice with both resolved under warranty.

No other issues.

I now have 33k miles so I drive less than you.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GTO's all have LS motors, LS1 in 2004 and LS2 in 2005/2006. Fbodies got the LS1 in 98.......

The reason people use the 5.3 is cost, LS motors are aluminum block where the 5.3 is iron. Also, SOME people like to use a good iron block is they plan to make HUGE boost levels and are worried about breaking the LS alumimum blocks. But a good aluminum block built with forged pistons and rotating assembly should be good up to 1500hp anyway...... Maybe more.

Not to start an argument or pissing contest but I did say "pre-LS" cars, like all the 60's and 70's muscle cars Such as GTO, Chevelle, et al. My avatar is a 2000 TA. Its an all aluminum LS1 and I am well aware of the LS's use in pretty much everything since the 97 'Vette including Holden's variants of performance cars like the UTE, Commodore, and the Monaro (04-06 GTO).

Most of the LS family since 1997 (4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2, 7.0, & 8.1) were/is (depending on variant) available in aluminum and/or iron block (LM7 5.3, LQ4 6.0, LQ9 ** 6.0).

The 2015-2020 K2XX SUV "LT" motors (L83 - 5.3 & L86 6.2) are additional variants of the "LS family" just direct injection, but still interchangeable with some earlier LS parts.

The 6SPD transmissions on the newer trucks seem to make it ~150k miles and then the converter conks out and takes out the trans if you don't catch it quickly. Lots of documentation on the service side about this, although it isn't nearly as widespread as the 8SPD issues since it's more of a high mileage problem. I'd put TC upgrade on my "maintenance" list lol.

RedChevy is absolutely correct about the 8 Speed autos. Not a good job by GM on these trans. Look for 6 speeds. 2017 seems to be the year to go (I got lucky) where there are still a lot of 6-speeds in the market and they worked out the kinks of the 1st and 2nd years of the K2XX generation of SUVs.

I just worked with Circle D for a converter. Triple disc lockup, 3000 stall. A couple of GM transmission buffs I've interacted with on TikTok all recommend putting in a thermostatic bypass valve for the 6L80's. The thermostat from the factory raises the temp in the trans really fast for emissions and drivability purposes and holds it at the 185 ~195 temp. Everyone of those people said high temps kills the trans and that 195 number is close to the breaking point. The thermostatic bypass valve should pull those temps under 180 or better and makes all the difference in longevity and performance. They also recommended the Circle D TC.

Also if you have a heavy foot, they recommend a larger diameter aluminum driveshaft. They stated the factory ones don't hold for long after crossing 90mph.

SSpinball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017, it still running strong, no engine problems or changes, I believe the correct oil change intervals are key to these engines.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are the 2017 5.3’s aluminum?

Or are some possibly iron blocks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak