Another option…2011 Chevy Tahoe 85k miles - thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SFreedom97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum and have been on the hunt for a 12-14 Tahoe LTZ or Yukon Denali and came across a 14 Yukon Denali AWD with 42k miles. The ask is $30k.

it's got a clean carfax and 2 previous owners. The vehicle has spent its entire life in the south (Georgia). The truck really looks to be in mint condition via pics (It's a couple of states away from me to see in person). Before I set out on this road trip, how does the braintrust feel about an 8-9 year old Yukon Denali with only 42k miles? Is it a bad thing that it "only" has 42k miles?

The service history on the car fax has plenty of service entries for maintenance at the same places which makes me feel good.

If I get up to the dealer, what are some of the "watch outs" you all suggest for this era Yukon when I test drive it or inspect it under the hood? The undercarriage has minimal rust since it spent its life in GA.

I've got 2015 BMW X5 drive50i with the infamous N63TU engine and 92k miles. I'm looking to get out of this before it becomes a problem as an X5 can get expensive once the gremlins start to show up.....

Thanks in advance! Happy to address any questions anyone has so I can make a good decision! :)

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be afraid of it, especially from a salt free state. My hope for you is that it was more of a road trip family vehicle and not a 3 mile to work vehicle.

I'd show up unannounced at the dealership and ask to start it cold. Check all the fluids beforehand for color and level (Trans only for color and smell, check when running). On the startup listen to the motor inside and outside of the cabin and see how it sounds (piston slap, exhaust manifold noise, etc).

These seem to be a nice year from what I've seen, but haven't owned. If they were good on oil changes, then hopefully there wasn't much opportunity for contamination that can lead to lifter problems.

Just do a normal rundown of all the electronics, etc on the inside. I know some window switches get can get glitchy and the rear heated seats in my experience. But, again, with that low of miles, I'm sure everything has seen minimal use.

As for 30k, that's quite a stretch in my book for a vehicle that's almost 10 years old and 2 generations behind.

Share some pics if you have them. Good luck!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's a gamble to be honest, the dealer is really banking on the low mileage, you could buy something closer to 100 and maybe come out prettier.
if there is a option for a powertrain warranty you might want to take advantage of it just in case.
either way you will want to flush everything simply due to age, all fluids-all fluids a-z and a new battery.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
New to the forum and have been on the hunt for a 12-14 Tahoe LTZ or Yukon Denali and came across a 14 Yukon Denali AWD with 42k miles. The ask is $30k.

it's got a clean carfax and 2 previous owners. The vehicle has spent its entire life in the south (Georgia). The truck really looks to be in mint condition via pics (It's a couple of states away from me to see in person). Before I set out on this road trip, how does the braintrust feel about an 8-9 year old Yukon Denali with only 42k miles? Is it a bad thing that it "only" has 42k miles?

The service history on the car fax has plenty of service entries for maintenance at the same places which makes me feel good.

If I get up to the dealer, what are some of the "watch outs" you all suggest for this era Yukon when I test drive it or inspect it under the hood? The undercarriage has minimal rust since it spent its life in GA.

I've got 2015 BMW X5 drive50i with the infamous N63TU engine and 92k miles. I'm looking to get out of this before it becomes a problem as an X5 can get expensive once the gremlins start to show up.....

Thanks in advance! Happy to address any questions anyone has so I can make a good decision! :)
A vehicle with 42k should not have many issues.

For high mileage vehicles I usually look for the items below.

Dirty transmission oil
Oil pan leaks
Valve cover leaks
Rear main seal leaks
Transmission shifts correctly
Oil wet spots on differential
Dirty brake oil
Oil cooler hose leaks
Transmission oil cooler hose leaks
Power steering hose leaks
Wear on suspension parts

OP
OP
S

SFreedom97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wouldn't be afraid of it, especially from a salt free state. My hope for you is that it was more of a road trip family vehicle and not a 3 mile to work vehicle.

I'd show up unannounced at the dealership and ask to start it cold. Check all the fluids beforehand for color and level (Trans only for color and smell, check when running). On the startup listen to the motor inside and outside of the cabin and see how it sounds (piston slap, exhaust manifold noise, etc).

These seem to be a nice year from what I've seen, but haven't owned. If they were good on oil changes, then hopefully there wasn't much opportunity for contamination that can lead to lifter problems.

Just do a normal rundown of all the electronics, etc on the inside. I know some window switches get can get glitchy and the rear heated seats in my experience. But, again, with that low of miles, I'm sure everything has seen minimal use.

As for 30k, that's quite a stretch in my book for a vehicle that's almost 10 years old and 2 generations behind.

Share some pics if you have them. Good luck!

I am finding that Tahoes/Yukon/Suburbans are either beat up pretty bad from this era or in "great" shape with low miles that one has to pay for. I'm not one to pick up a truck with 100k miles to save $5k where it looks to be pretty beat up on the inside.

Even those with 60-70k miles are asking for close to $30k as these vehicles are sought after for running for as long as I'm sure this braintrust already knows. This one jumped out to me to just how darn clean it was (I know pictures are just pictures and detail guys can be incredible), but the Georgia lifer (I'm outside of Atlanta) also really drew me to it. Love the black on black, but was curious:

Is the Onyx Black paint on these known to hold up or should I target one of the tri-coat colors instead?

Thanks so much for the advice above!!

here are a few pics:

2014-gmc-yukon-denali-awd-4dr-suv.jpg

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I am finding that Tahoes/Yukon/Suburbans are either beat up pretty bad from this era or in "great" shape with low miles that one has to pay for. I'm not one to pick up a truck with 100k miles to save $5k where it looks to be pretty beat up on the inside.

Even those with 60-70k miles are asking for close to $30k as these vehicles are sought after for running for as long as I'm sure this braintrust already knows. This one jumped out to me to just how darn clean it was (I know pictures are just pictures and detail guys can be incredible), but the Georgia lifer (I'm outside of Atlanta) also really drew me to it. Love the black on black, but was curious:

Is the Onyx Black paint on these known to hold up or should I target one of the tri-coat colors instead?

Thanks so much for the advice above!!

here are a few pics:

View attachment 390464

View attachment 390465

View attachment 390466

View attachment 390467

View attachment 390468
The dash is cracked by the passenger air bag.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My shorthanded opinion is it's half the cost of any comparable model of a more recent generation, but more reliable, especially where it matters. The common issues and the repairs for this generation are well-documented and relatively cheap. Being a 2014, it's the latest and greatest of the GMT900 platform. Check everything one should check with any used car. Expect to perform some reconditioning of the soft parts from the age and not from the mileage. $30K seems a tad high for it being nine years and three generations old. But, it might not be exorbitant with today's market. I think there's some decent negotiating room there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins