2014 Yukon 6.2L lifter noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, after I started this rebuild journey, I have experienced several personal setbacks which are forcing me to not proceed with my original plans. I now have to approach this project with the minimalistic rebuild approach. So, I ask if anyone has successfully just replaced the bad collapsed lifter and need gaskets, bolts and such? I just need to get the truck back on the road. Also I will be having the AFM tuned out. This is not the approach I want to go but its the path I am forced to go with my current situation. I can hopefully readdress the full mechanical delate at a later time as I have already gotten most of the parts I need and was just waiting on a few other items. I appreciate any advice on this newly planned route.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, after I started this rebuild journey, I have experienced several personal setbacks which are forcing me to not proceed with my original plans. I now have to approach this project with the minimalistic rebuild approach. So, I ask if anyone has successfully just replaced the bad collapsed lifter and need gaskets, bolts and such? I just need to get the truck back on the road. Also I will be having the AFM tuned out. This is not the approach I want to go but its the path I am forced to go with my current situation. I can hopefully readdress the full mechanical delate at a later time as I have already gotten most of the parts I need and was just waiting on a few other items. I appreciate any advice on this newly planned route.
Sorry to hear about the personal setbacks. That sucks, man. But you have the right thought process. Yes, you can get by with just replacing the failed lifter(s), but I would do the whole bank of lifters on that side, along with new trays. But take care to do a good inspection of the cam for any damage through the lifter bores. Any damage or pitting at all, and that new lifter won't make 1000 miles, so the cam would need to come out. It would also be a good idea to replace the VLOM as they're often the source of AFM failures.

OP
OP
T

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the personal setbacks. That sucks, man. But you have the right thought process. Yes, you can get by with just replacing the failed lifter(s), but I would do the whole bank of lifters on that side, along with new trays. But take care to do a good inspection of the cam for any damage through the lifter bores. Any damage or pitting at all, and that new lifter won't make 1000 miles, so the cam would need to come out. It would also be a good idea to replace the VLOM as they're often the source of AFM failures.
Thanks for the response. My failed lifter was on #4, are you saying replace the lifters on 2,4,6,8 or just 2 & 4 that share the same tray? Thanks for advising me on the VLOM as well. My heads are being machined as well so I can have that smooth mating surface. and valves lapped Any concerns with just using the same springs and pushrods(if they inspect okay) since I am sticking with the factory cam now, hopefully? I don't think there is any damage to the cam. As the truck was parked as soon as I first heard that tick, with only occasional running for a few minutes at a time for diagnosis. I will inspect it to ensure.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. My failed lifter was on #4, are you saying replace the lifters on 2,4,6,8 or just 2 & 4 that share the same tray? Thanks for advising me on the VLOM as well. My heads are being machined as well so I can have that smooth mating surface. and valves lapped Any concerns with just using the same springs and pushrods(if they inspect okay) since I am sticking with the factory cam now, hopefully? I don't think there is any damage to the cam. As the truck was parked as soon as I first heard that tick, with only occasional running for a few minutes at a time for diagnosis. I will inspect it to ensure.
If you’re taking both heads off, then replace all lifters and trays, along with the VLOM. One root cause of lifter failure is worn engagement pins on the lifters themselves, and another is sluggish solenoids in the VLOM. It’s cheap insurance against future failure. And use OEM lifter trays only or you’ll be tearing it apart again in a few weeks. Ask me how I know ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14