2014 Tahoe steering wheel creaking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven’t figured it out yet, my guess is upper steering column roller bearing is beginning to fail. Does your steering wheel have any play in it?

If it’s clock spring, your horn and steering wheel controls (some or all) would not work or show intermittent no-function conditions. Otherwise if the clock spring is determined to be bad it isnt too difficult to swap it out by yourself.

Removing the wheel is easy with the puller tool, just disconnect the negative battery lead and wait like 15 min so as to avoid accidentally triggering your air bag as it has to be removed to take the steering wheel off. Pull off the upper and lower shroud then shine a flashlight in the area underneath where the bearing is located.

If you want pics or a quick video of the column, let me know and ill post it.
Wheel has a tiny bit of play yes

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t see the video, as apparently it’s removed? Anyway, I had some creaking/ noises that were driving me nuts. Turned out, this was solved by simply tightening down all the front end components, like the upper and lower control arms. Even though they were torqued to spec, they were noisy, until they got another serious whack from the 36” breaker bar.. just my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727