2014 Tahoe steering wheel creaking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video of the noise here

I can’t find anything on this. My Tahoe is making some sort of creaking or like a rubber rubbing on something type of noise. People are saying clock spring? My town doesn’t fix roads and I feel I might’ve messed some thing up on a bump or something.

Reaction score
My 2012 has been doing the same thing for about a year. I thought it was coming from the boot/seal that's on the firewall in the engine compartment.

While the vehicle was lifted off the ground I had my daughter turn the wheel so I could try to pinpoint the noise. It didn't do it. Figured it might be coming from the power steering rack, but even with engine running it still didn't do it. It seems to only do it when the wheels are on the ground and there's weight on the steering components.

I still have yet to figure out what's causing it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a similar creaking noise on my 07 Yukon XL Denali. I just live with it, as I only hear it when the head unit is off (quite rare).

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 has been doing the same thing for about a year. I thought it was coming from the boot/seal that's on the firewall in the engine compartment.

While the vehicle was lifted off the ground I had my daughter turn the wheel so I could try to pinpoint the noise. It didn't do it. Figured it might be coming from the power steering rack, but even with engine running it still didn't do it. It seems to only do it when the wheels are on the ground and there's weight on the steering components.

I still have yet to figure out what's causing it.
Everyone is telling me the clock spring and that’s what scares me because the job is expensive and I don’t know if I can do it myself

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a similar creaking noise on my 07 Yukon XL Denali. I just live with it, as I only hear it when the head unit is off (quite rare).
Seems to only do it when it’s on. If I shit it off and move the wheel I don’t hear it. But also only able to move it so much while it’s off.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone is telling me the clock spring and that’s what scares me because the job is expensive and I don’t know if I can do it myself
who is everyone?
and if I was going to lube anything with my steering wheel I would use spray on lithium grease
I doubt you would be able to hear the clockspring making any noise, I would be looking for rubbing of the outer plastic, look down between where the steering wheel sits above the rest of the steering shaft trim and blinker switch and see if any of the plastic trim is rubbing on the rest, then look under the column/under dash as well
I have had the lower trim piece that goes around the ignition switch be out of shape and causing rubbing against the bottom of the steering wheel before (easily fixed)
also if the clock spring was messed up you would get a error message it is a pretty sensitive part but well seated inside, a bump wouldn't hurt it

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who is everyone?
and if I was going to lube anything with my steering wheel I would use spray on lithium grease
I doubt you would be able to hear the clockspring making any noise, I would be looking for rubbing of the outer plastic, look down between where the steering wheel sits above the rest of the steering shaft trim and blinker switch and see if any of the plastic trim is rubbing on the rest, then look under the column/under dash as well
I have had the lower trim piece that goes around the ignition switch be out of shape and causing rubbing against the bottom of the steering wheel before (easily fixed)
also if the clock spring was messed up you would get a error message it is a pretty sensitive part but well seated inside, a bump wouldn't hurt it
So you think i should take the wheel down and look? I noticed when looking between the steering wheel and the upper shroud, in that crack, there’s a piece of Round plastic that kinda moves? Referring to this area

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you think i should take the wheel down and look? I noticed when looking between the steering wheel and the upper shroud, in that crack, there’s a piece of Round plastic that kinda moves? Referring to this area
That would be my 1st suspect area, use a flashlight and shine it in that crack while turning the wheel

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven’t figured it out yet, my guess is upper steering column roller bearing is beginning to fail. Does your steering wheel have any play in it?

If it’s clock spring, your horn and steering wheel controls (some or all) would not work or show intermittent no-function conditions. Otherwise if the clock spring is determined to be bad it isnt too difficult to swap it out by yourself.

Removing the wheel is easy with the puller tool, just disconnect the negative battery lead and wait like 15 min so as to avoid accidentally triggering your air bag as it has to be removed to take the steering wheel off. Pull off the upper and lower shroud then shine a flashlight in the area underneath where the bearing is located.

If you want pics or a quick video of the column, let me know and ill post it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33