2014 Tahoe SSV HVAC issues need scan tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K9ErnieSSV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having issues with the HVAC. The drivers side was not cool and the left side window defrost was full hot. Read that you can clean the temperature actuator to fix. Now the front and back don't go full cold and are both tied to the left temp control. Right wheel does nothing.

Is there a scan tool that will be able to read the actuator and perform a relearn? I see that things have changed with AcDelco and using the MDI2. Is there a different option that cost 500 or less that would be able to work with the HVAC module? Hopefully other modules as well.

Seems easy going down the rabbit hole with scan tools and what modules they can and cannot work bidirectionally.

I would prefer not to have to get a subsciption or shell out a grand for a scan tool and I have a feeling going with the clone will stop working soon since they are forcing users to connect online to use the MDI2's (unless I am mistaken).

So much to learn and little time as I have a retired K9 unit and need the AC working since it still gets warm in southern Florida. Appreciate recomendations and assistance.

OP
OP
K9ErnieSSV

K9ErnieSSV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought the Tech 2's only were good through 2013. They will cover 2014?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the Tech 2's only were good through 2013. They will cover 2014?
I've been trying to find this out for years. I see no reason why it wouldn't work though, as I doubt GM went through all the trouble to convert the last of the 900s to the MDI system for one model year.

Do you live in Florida by chance?

Anyhow, the MDI and GDS software isn't that much more than a Tech-2 as long as you already have a compatible laptop. A subscription is not needed unless you need to program modules.

OP
OP
K9ErnieSSV

K9ErnieSSV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do. I’m down in Hollywood. If you’re in TC it’s about a Two hour drive and quarter tank of gas. Gotta love the 4x4 :cool:

OP
OP
K9ErnieSSV

K9ErnieSSV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In response to the MDI, since I need to fix it quick I ordered a VXDiag VCX Nano. Hopefully I can get it up and running without too much headache. If not then I will order an MDI 2 clone and wait for it to make it across the pond. @swathdiver any chance you'll be down by or below West Palm beach in the next few weeks?