2014 PPV Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I understand your disappointment, I had similar illusions. Fact is some of these get a lot of hard use or abuse and when a fleet vehicle is flagged for divestment no one’s going to put money into it. If you DIY you can do it for about a third of the shop price, depending on your choices of parts quality and vendors.

I would start with the tie rod ends and upper control arms and then get an alignment. That should get the steering sorted. Work on the ride next. And those are easy to do without any expensive specialty tools or risk. Get a pair of jack stands and you’re good to go.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't touched the engine block/suspension but I've replaced windshield motors, alternators, belts, O2 censors - all the easy top side stuff by watching youtube videos. I could probably tackle suspension but it seems easy to scuff and I don't have proper lifts. Just a few bottle jacks.
Bottle jacks and jack stands are all I have too. I ended up replacing the front shocks on thecopcar myself. That meant disassembly of the struts, spring compressor and all. Not sure if I want to do it again on theothertwin. I could not find an assembled strut specifically for the PPV.

Rear shocks are easy, just be aware of the ABS sensor connection on top of the frame right there. It’s easy to bump loose.

ive replaced the front hubs on both of them. The second time I had them both done, and tools cleaned up and put away in two hours flat.

OP
OP
dontsleeponppv

dontsleeponppv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven't gotten around to getting it lifted up for pictures but I will this week. After watching some YouTube videos, I feel comfortable enough to replace the rear shocks myself. But when looking up videos for 07-14 model, most videos only list 07-13 models. Here's an example of the rear shock 07-13 only (Rear Shock YouTube Link). Is it the same for the 2014 model?

Rear Shocks
Here are a pair of Belltech Rear Shocks for half the price I was quoted. ($132.43 vs $279.98) "Fits Vehicles with 3"-4" Rear Lowering" What are your thoughts?

Belltech Rear Shocks.png

ACDelco Control Arms, Passenger Side will also be purchased.
($79.88 vs $149.99 quoted) x2

ACDelco Driver Side Control Arm.png

Detroit Axle Front & Outer Tie Rods?
Not sure about this Brand but it has both inner and outer tie rods, ACDelco only has the inner on Amazon, I could order outer through their website if Detroit Axle isn't a good brand.

Detroit Axle Inner & Outer Tie Rods.png

ACDelco Front Assembly
It's a full assembly which yall recommended me to stray away from but I'm not sure if I'm capable of building this correctly lol. The 40-50k lifespan does worry me though.
($116.62 vs $149.99) x2

ACDelco Front Strut Assembly.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
dontsleeponppv

dontsleeponppv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For the rear shocks, it'd actually be cheaper to buy them individually. 2 for $109.42

Belltech Rear Shock.png

Any suggestions?

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fastest thing for ride quality would be the non-PPV shocks/struts and getting rid of the Goodyear Eagle RSA's since they're low profile'ish and stiff AF.

To save some money, do the rear shocks yourself, not hard at all if backed up on to ramps. Changing the front struts is best for the pro's UNLESS you buy the complete strut assemblies that are already pre-assmebled, thats quick job for a DIY'er

All else fail, beer/pizza and a couple bucks for a friend thats a solid DIYer is a good course of action too.

BTW, that quote you got.......kinda reads like they saw your truck, 100,000 miles on the clock and said you need it all. I would take that quote and get a second opinion. This is coming from a part-time tech

UPDATE - I like the where you're going with the research. These trucks are stupid simple to work on. Theres no shortage YT videos either. Watch a bunch of videos and take your time......remember, time is money. Save some cash for those other mods you "want"

Last edited:
OP
OP
dontsleeponppv

dontsleeponppv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fastest thing for ride quality would be the non-PPV shocks/struts and getting rid of the Goodyear Eagle RSA's since they're low profile'ish and stiff AF.

To save some money, do the rear shocks yourself, not hard at all if backed up on to ramps. Changing the front struts is best for the pro's UNLESS you buy the complete strut assemblies that are already pre-assmebled, thats quick job for a DIY'er

All else fail, beer/pizza and a couple bucks for a friend thats a solid DIYer is a good course of action too.

BTW, that quote you got.......kinda reads like they saw your truck, 100,000 miles on the clock and said you need it all. I would take that quote and get a second opinion. This is coming from a part-time tech

UPDATE - I like the where you're going with the research. These trucks are stupid simple to work on. Theres no shortage YT videos either. Watch a bunch of videos and take your time......remember, time is money. Save some cash for those other mods you "want"

Definitely going to do the rear shocks myself and I agree with you on the quote, the tread isn't uneven on any tire so it's hard to believe everything needs to be replaced. The shocks are probably on their way out and these rough country roads aren't helping.

Tread.jpeg

What size wheels/tires are on your Tahoe? The white on black looks nice. I'd like to get at least 20s or 22s ideally without rubber band tires but don't know if there's enough clearance.

Also when shopping parts, I'm relying on Amazon's vehicle compatibility. Is there a better route?

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wheels are the GM 20" declads that I have powder coated. I have 295/45-20 run flats on them......not the most comfortable ride since run flat mean stupid stiff sidewall. BUT I got the set off from a SRT8 with 75% treadlife remaining for $125

Also of note, the run flat tires weight an additional 6-8 lbs each. So I will get some weight reduction with the next set of tires LOL

OP
OP
dontsleeponppv

dontsleeponppv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since I'm committed to fixing the PPV, would it be wise to change all the fluids and maybe get a tune up?

@Shackman7878 was kind enough to get my Service History & RPO Codes.

1 Open Recall
Product Safety Recall N212328800 N212328800 Front Passenger Airbag Takata Inflator - Priority Group 10 02/05/2021 Incomplete.

Service History
08/14/2018 182042 ZREG----Regular Vehicle Transaction 3031690 - Drive Pinion and Ring Gear Replacement 75,495 MI
07/25/2016 786539 ZREG----Regular Vehicle Transaction 8031651 - Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Replacement - Both Sides 34,288 MI
07/25/2016 786539 ZREG----Regular Vehicle Transaction 3420580 - Radio Antenna Module Replacement 34,288 MI
07/25/2016 786539 ZREG----Regular Vehicle Transaction 4066270 - Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Housing Replacement 34,288 MI
02/22/2016 762960 ZREG----Regular Vehicle Transaction 1042980 - Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement 26,000 MI
02/22/2016 762960 ZFAT----Field Action Recall 9100977 - N140515 - Fuel Pump Flow Control Module Replacement 26,000 MI

Last edited:

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anytime I buy a new vehicle, first thing I do is all the fluids. Normally the DOT3 in the brakes yields the most notable difference.

Either way its cheap insurance and peace of mind. At that point, start a build thread and document everything in there......its a great reference point and you can always update it

OP
OP
dontsleeponppv

dontsleeponppv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How do you all diagnose problems/inspect worn parts on your vehicle? I'm at 105k miles so basically everything is at the recommended mileage to change for "Normal" usage but since this was a PPV it falls under the "Severe" usage of the owner's manual. My service history doesn't mention anything about spark plugs or ignition coils so those likely need to be looked at. I haven't installed a DIC yet so I can't tell my fuel mileage but the truck fires up every time and sounds clean. I usually live by "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" but I know driving on worn parts can lead to more expensive repairs so I'd like to get ahead of it if possible.

What I need to sleep soundly at night:
• Inspect/replace suspension (Upper/Lower Control Arms, Tie Rods, Struts/Shocks, Coils)
• Inspect/replace all 100k maintenance items (Spark Plugs, Ignition Coils, Timing Belt, Drive Belt, Fuel Lines/Hoses)
• Change all Fluids (I have a family member with the opposing opinion of never changing Trans/Power Steering and topping off Brake Fluid but I know better :doh2:)
• Rotate Tires (This is easy)

I guess my problem lies where I can't visually inspect things and I'm only self taught with youtube videos.

Suspension.jpg
Suspension2.jpg

Apologies for all the questions and random thread, I'm trying to become more knowledgeable and research as much as I can.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie