2013 Tahoe USB port fails to recognize one iPhone7 but recognizes another iPhone7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cosmicdust

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Help!

We just bought a 2013 Tahoe LTZ, great condition, with 36k on it. Love it!

We were disappointed to learn that this generation predated MyLink and the bluetooth does not work for music. But I undertsood the USB would.

We have 4 phones in our family (I am the holdout to Android).

My wife's iPhone6 plays music through the USB, as does my daughter's iPhone7+. My son just got an iPhone7 and when connected to the USB we get "This media is not compatible".

Any clues?

AnnieBMimi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. Same problem here. 2013 Tahoe LT. My iPhone 8+ won’t even charge with that USB port in the center console. BUMMING out. Did you discover any solutions?

Help!

We were disappointed to learn that this generation predated MyLink and the bluetooth does not work for music. But I undertsood the USB would.

My wife's iPhone6 plays music through the USB, as does my daughter's iPhone7+. My son just got an iPhone7 and when connected to the USB we get "This media is not compatible".

Any clues?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Not sure why it’s not working. I have that radio with iPhone X. Never had an issue where it wouldn’t read. Sometimes upon boot it won’t automatically start the music and you have to go thru the iPod menu on the radio to start a song, then it will play. Maybe try a different iPhone cable as well?

derfman00

Reaction score
i know i'm about two yesrs late, but for reference, i found the answer to this problem.

You need to have a song in the phone's iTunes library.

Help!

Any clues?

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopeful for a solution. What if you aren’t trying to play from iTunes, but say Spotify? I have a 2014 Denali that has recognized my 6s+ since we bought it. Just upgraded to XR and I get the media not recognized message. I can switch to my wife’s XR and it recognized it and played Spotify without issue. Anyone found the issue or solution?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopeful for a solution. What if you aren’t trying to play from iTunes, but say Spotify? I have a 2014 Denali that has recognized my 6s+ since we bought it. Just upgraded to XR and I get the media not recognized message. I can switch to my wife’s XR and it recognized it and played Spotify without issue. Anyone found the issue or solution?

I may be misunderstanding it, but I don't believe you HAVE to play from iTunes. You just need to have something in the library for the HU to recognize the phone and sync with it in the first place. Once it's sync'ed, then you can play from whatever source. Does your wife have anything in her iTunes library and do you not?

Last edited:

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Her iTunes library is why I can’t switch from apple products. But it is possible that she hasn’t synced with the new phone bc she has been using Spotify lately. Thanks for further clarifying the above post. It just wasn’t clicking for me.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would make sure your 7 has the latest IOS.

runt83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With other apple products I've had success backing up the phone on the computer, wipe it, and then restoring it. Something in the iTunes dB gets corrupted but the only reliable way to reset the dB is to back up, wipe, and restore.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk