2013 Tahoe LS top end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Just00Jake

Reaction score
@Just00Jake I shouldn't speak on VVT related questions. You might have forgot to post the picture of the camshaft

Are you using the updated valve cover? That will help avoid your intake sucking oil in through the PCV system.
Hey there Dustin, I just saw this message for the first time while going through looking for the message with the tuning guys info that you introduced me to... What do you mean updated valve cover? The AFM cover or are you saying that I should have replaced one of my actual valve covers?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there Dustin, I just saw this message for the first time while going through looking for the message with the tuning guys info that you introduced me to... What do you mean updated valve cover? The AFM cover or are you saying that I should have replaced one of my actual valve covers?
Update valve covers, 07-08 & 09-11, thread:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/vlom-advice-needed-semi-urgent.135309/#post-1692857
Driverside only
If you have an 07-08? its GM pt# 12570427. I paid $117 online a couple 3+ yrs ago.

If you have an 09-11? its GM pt# 12642655

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Just00Jake You might have to plug the old parts into the connectors to get your truck running just a little bit so that it can be tuned. I would reach out to @BlackBearPerf for friendly advice on how to proceed with a tune/delete when you already did the engine work but now the motor won’t start because it isn’t tuned.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like others have said there is a new driver side valve cover design that prevents the motor from sucking in oil, the original design let a lot of oil enter the intake from the valve cover from the PCV system

OP
OP
J

Just00Jake

Reaction score
Congrats on getting it back together. You will need a tune to get it started. The tune will shut off both AFM and VVT and will need to be tweaked for the cam you installed. You may be able to get it started by leaving the old vlom manifold plugged in and tied off somewhere, but I don’t know first-hand because I haven’t tried it. But all of those P0010 codes are there because the ECM is looking for the vlom and it’s not there, obviously.

For the oil pressure sensor performance code, did you replace the oil pressure sensor as part of this work? If you were getting that code before you tore it down, that would have been a wise choice, but you can do it later. It won’t keep you from running. The fuel trim codes are usually caused by vacuum leaks which you would likely have solved by removing and reinstalling the intake manifold.

What is your plan for a tune or do you need help with suggestions?
Man I appreciate all of the advice, I'll prefer accordingly and keep you posted. As far as the initial tune goes... I had a local shop quote me $400 and the Black Bear place said I'd have to buy a $600 device just to get started. I considered that if I was gonna to even spend $400 that I'd prefer to spend around $600 to buy what is needed to do it myself and learn the process. At that point I could tune all of my vehicles and friends vehicles, but I've got to much going right now to dive into that, although I may after my month looking work trip to southern California which I leave in 3 days for. I did call a smaller local Chevrolet dealership near me and they said that they would tune it for around $200 and they picked up, do I figured you can't go wrong with the dealership (I hope). Hopefully I'll get it back tomorrow and I'll let you know how it worked out. I didn't change the valve cover on the driver's side yet as Dustin suggested but I'll address that when I get it back. As I'm expecting that the dealership will program everything to run,, I'm not sure if they will dial up to accommodate the higher performance cam and cold air intake or not. I was thinking that when you go to a performance shop it is generally understood that you are going outside warranty specs, but dealerships are usually restricted in that sense but I'm hoping since it's a 2013 they won't be limited as far as warranty guidelines since I'm so far out of that range. I'll let you know how everything ends up and I really appreciate you guys accompanying me through this saga so far, hopefully I slay the dragon and get the prom queen etc.

OP
OP
J

Just00Jake

Reaction score
@Just00Jake You might have to plug the old parts into the connectors to get your truck running just a little bit so that it can be tuned. I would reach out to @BlackBearPerf for friendly advice on how to proceed with a tune/delete when you already did the engine work but now the motor won’t start because it isn’t tuned.
Oh and @Geotrash , I tried the VLOM plug thing and it didn't work for me, but I'm not sure that, that was the only contributing factor. Just wanted to give you my experience with it. I've learned a lot through this process not expecting to, I was under the impression I knew most of what's to know. You guys suggestions, comments and advice had a lot of value. I hope I can help someone in return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne