2013 Tahoe gear swap 3.08-4.10 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remind me again what a semi-floating and full-floating axle is, or what the differences are?

Are they the same as a solid axle and independent axle? If so, I'm just not used to hearing them called semi or full floaters

The main feature is that in a semi-floater, the axle shaft is doing double duty - providing twist AND carrying the weight. In a full-floater, the axle only provides twist. The axle housing carries the weight. Makes it much more durable and robust.

I have the 10.5" full floater in my Suburban 2500. I call it the Godzilla axle. The manufacturer, American Axle, rates it to 8600 lbs load-carrying capacity. The limiting factor is the weight rating of my tires.

OP
OP
BlackHoe13

BlackHoe13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, if memory serves, all 2007 Yukon and Yukon XL Denalis were AWD, so the axle didn't appear until 2008 and was used until 2014. Mine came from a RWD Escalade. This also applies to Escalade ESV and Yukon XL Denali with RWD.
My local junkyard has 3 Denali’s. They are older models…..I checked on LQK online and they have a few for $236. Some others are more expensive.