2013 Tahoe CB install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usmcss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thought I would put this up to help anybody who might be wondering about installing a CB in their new 2013 Tahoe. I am sure the same can be done on older models probably up to 2007 or 2008.

I purchased the Full Sized Cobra 29 LX BT. 4Ft. Firestik 2 and also a 3ft. Firestik Firefly. 18' of Firestik Firering FMG RG-58 Coax. Along with quick disconnect and this mount: AUGM3-L pictures show the 3ft installed. All this purchased from Right Channel Radios. Their customer service is the Best!!! Kay is Awesome!!!!

It was pretty simple. I made it extremely hard which I will explain.

I ran the cable from the drivers side right below the windshield and above the hood in the corner. There is a plastic cap that pops right off. There is a mount already there for you to use for your antenna but you would have to make the hole bigger. And you would also have to drill a hole in the plastic cap. much cleaner but I opted for the AUGM3-L for now. (Note: you need to purchase a 5/16ths bolt, nut, and washer to install mount.)

So from this area the cable is run back and though the door jam. There you will see a boot on the door and a rubber boot on the body of the truck. This is where the cables for the door controls run. I cut a hole in the boot on the body and ran the antenna cable right into the cab. This is where I made it extremely Hard! DO NOT TAKE THAT RUBBER BOOT OFF!!!!! It took me at least two hours to get it back on. I was worried I might cut into the cable so I took it off. You can just feel through the hole on the cab side and move the cable out of the way when you make your cut.

You can see in the pictures how I ran the cable in the cab.

You also have to be careful with this mount as the bottom of it could ding your truck if you go over a pothole. In the pictures you can see I used a black piece of rubber on the bottom to protect the paint. And also clear rubber Pieces. See the photo. The clear rubber came from Home Depot in the section where they sell the floor protectors that you put on the bottom of chairs. The black rubber piece came from a package of rubber washers I got at Walmart in the plumbing section. I super glued the black rubber piece to the bolt head on the bottom of the mount. You really have to do this. When I went to put it on I noticed that my paint already got a little ding. Pissed me off to no end because that was the whole reason I went to get the dam rubber piece!!!

I power the CB with a cigarette Lighter at the moment but might hard wire later.

I mounted the CB with 3M Command Black Velcro rated at something like 19 or 20 pounds. The best place it at the top of the CB for the 29.

I haven't mounted the mic yet. The Velcro really didn't work for it under the dash. I tried the Command stuff that is like rubber cement rated at 2lbs and comes in little strips. It works great on the plastic wood.

I put the mic mount on the wood with these easy off strips and it held great. Took it off because I am not sure if it will leave a darker mark in that area when the rest of the plastic fades over time. Probably will mount it there in the end. This stuff or the Velcro won't hold the mic any other place I tried. The Velcro for some reason won't hold because of the angle of the places I tried and the rubber strips won't adhere.

The radio tuned great and I know I got 3 miles so far.

Hope this helps someone!

Pics at link below:

Sorry guys the link was bad for the pics before, this one should work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42435123@N08/sets/72157634423143233/

Last edited: