2013 Suburban 2nd row seat issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnwildfan2k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found my first real issue with the new to me 2013 Suburban over the weekend. 60/40 middle row with power fold/flip... on the 60 side, when the power fold button is pressed, the motor flips the seatback forward into a folded position as it should. If the button is pressed again to flip the seat forward so rear passengers can exit, the motor runs, lever on the side of the seat moves, but it sticks and wont flip forward. Additionally, then if the seat back is manually lifted to the upright position, it sounds like something is catching or binding. I'm not sure if I can post a video here yet as I'm a low count poster however, I'm wondering if anyone has run into similar issues like this. For what its worth, the 40 side, behind the passenger works seamlessly. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found my first real issue with the new to me 2013 Suburban over the weekend. 60/40 middle row with power fold/flip... on the 60 side, when the power fold button is pressed, the motor flips the seatback forward into a folded position as it should. If the button is pressed again to flip the seat forward so rear passengers can exit, the motor runs, lever on the side of the seat moves, but it sticks and wont flip forward. Additionally, then if the seat back is manually lifted to the upright position, it sounds like something is catching or binding. I'm not sure if I can post a video here yet as I'm a low count poster however, I'm wondering if anyone has run into similar issues like this. For what its worth, the 40 side, behind the passenger works seamlessly. Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you might have a bad gear or linkage in your seat base. My 2008 had a similar, intermittent, issue on the 40 side. I think it was partially due to my kids hitting the button to fold the seat down and not waiting for it to tumble but instead crawling over it and holding it down when it was trying to tumble.

Make sure the headrest on the 60 side isn't running into the back of the driver seat.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the power folding seats have a gas strut in the assembly also like the manual ones do?

You could spray the latch down with a little lube and see if that helps sometimes those latches can get gunked up and not fully release etc.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the same issue time to time. Try doing it manually and look for tension on the handle then lube first. The seat bottom comes off pretty easy if you need to compare right and left.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't know how those work but I suggest getting access to the shop manual through a subscription to AllDataDIY. Should be pictures and instructions and maybe even a troubleshooting guide for what you are experiencing.

OP
OP
M

mnwildfan2k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After further inspection fiddling, flipping, folding, raising, cussing... I determined that the clamp/foot/claw/latch mechanism on the bottom of the seat near the center of the truck was not fully cycling or opening when the button was pressed to allow the seat to release from the floor and flip forward. No kidding, I couldn't find a can of WD-40 to save my life. What dude DOESN'T have WD-40 readily available?!? Sprung for some Tri-Flow graphite spray and shot it a few times. Cycled the seat about 4-5 times and all seems to be operating as normal. Will reassess when its not so blasted cold outside!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
After further inspection fiddling, flipping, folding, raising, cussing... I determined that the clamp/foot/claw/latch mechanism on the bottom of the seat near the center of the truck was not fully cycling or opening when the button was pressed to allow the seat to release from the floor and flip forward. No kidding, I couldn't find a can of WD-40 to save my life. What dude DOESN'T have WD-40 readily available?!? Sprung for some Tri-Flow graphite spray and shot it a few times. Cycled the seat about 4-5 times and all seems to be operating as normal. Will reassess when its not so blasted cold outside!

If you live in Minnesota, like I think you do, then that reassessment when it is not so blasted cold outside, may be a while. Try to buy a can of WD-40 between now and then. Good luck. By the way, WD-40 is a penetrant and the lubricating properties will not last near as long as silicone lube spray.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons