2013 SSV Rear Air Conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MD Tahoe 13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that some SSVs and PPVs did not have rear air conditioning (vents in the ceiling over the middle row of seats). I believe there are two motors for A/C, one in the front and then one in the rear cargo area above the right or left rear wheel well. Is this correct? Can you purchase this rear motor and do the install to get the rear A/C working? Mine is a 2013 SSV.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Mine has RPO CJ3, front air manual controls; and C69, rear AC. The rear has it’s own controls.

I doubt you can install just the rear without changing a bunch of other parts, mine has controls in the dash to turn the rear on and off, and the rear is normally slaved to follow the front temperature setting. I would also hope the compressor and condenser are larger in a dual AC.

Overall, there’s nothing different about the SSV other than it was sold to the government. Anybody could order an LS with the same options if they desired. The difference is most civilians want comfort features and law enforcement wants heavy duty suspension and electrical options.

Which is to say if you find a donor vehicle to take parts from it won’t matter if it was civvy or gubment owned.

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest if your Tahoe doesn't have rear A/C, it would not be very cost effective try to add it... you would need a control panel, hard lines, rear heater box (including evaporator, heater core, and blower), hoses and fittings, different compressor, and hope all the wiring is there.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that some SSVs and PPVs did not have rear air conditioning (vents in the ceiling over the middle row of seats). I believe there are two motors for A/C, one in the front and then one in the rear cargo area above the right or left rear wheel well. Is this correct? Can you purchase this rear motor and do the install to get the rear A/C working? Mine is a 2013 SSV.
rear right, and you can very easily tell by just looking under the truck, at the right rear corner you will see the coolant and ac/lines going up into the body just behind the rear wheel area. If that is all present then you may just have something not working. the hvac unit will be behind the rear right kick panel, lots of youtube videos of how to access it only take a few minutes to pop off some panels.

OP
OP
MD Tahoe 13

MD Tahoe 13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pulled back the cover over the right rear wheel well and it's all there. It just doesn't work, like there's no power. Surprised to see how clean it looked. There were two stray plugs but I don't even know where they are supposed to plug in. I've attached a picture. I'll keep searching some videos to see if there is a quick fix to it.

2013 SSV rear AC.jpg

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled back the cover over the right rear wheel well and it's all there. It just doesn't work, like there's no power. Surprised to see how clean it looked. There were two stray plugs but I don't even know where they are supposed to plug in. I've attached a picture. I'll keep searching some videos to see if there is a quick fix to it.

View attachment 344408
Check all your fuses to be sure it's just not a blown fuse. Also if you have a jump box and a couple test leads you can unplug the fan motor and apply power and ground to check if it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne