2013 SLT Yukon - Driver Door Squeaking and Harder to Close

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcoko15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are door hinges interior or exterior? IDK I'm going with General Discussion...hope that's okay.

Before I go crazy tearing the drivers side door apart I wanted to see if this was another one of those common issues that seem to plaque post 2010 Yukons.

My driver door is very loud, metal on metal, when opening and closing. I've lubed the hinges liberally and doesn't seemed to help. Symptoms are 1) loud screeching when opening, 2) when full open seem to get stuck when trying to close, have to use considerably more effort to "break" it free, 3) screeches on close as well.

Guess looking to understand if this is common, if the likely solution is replacement of hinge or another piece, or take apart and grease/lube affected areas. Thank you!

Reaction score
Usually what happens is gunk gets under the roller on the lower hing and keeps it from rolling. Then the notched spring loaded plate that's attached to to door that rolls over the roller just scrapes over it causing the noise.

They make replacement roller kits and entire replacement hinges. The roller kits are hit or miss.

Mine started making noise a few months ago and I used brake cleaner to clean out under the roller, like where is rolls on the pin. To spin the roller with my fingers to help free it up I had to use a large screwdriver or small pry bar to press the spring loaded plate away from the roller. Then after the roller shaft was freed up/clean I put some lubricant on the roller shaft. Try not to get lubricant on the roller surface, only into the shaft/pin it rolls on.

OP
OP
M

mcoko15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great, Thank you. I'll try to clean/fixes suggested and then delve into replacing if I can't clear it up or if it doesn't last. Thanks agian!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, Thank you. I'll try to clean/fixes suggested and then delve into replacing if I can't clear it up or if it doesn't last. Thanks agian!
Plug your VIN in here and type in "hinge" in the little search window.

My passenger side hinge only makes those awful sounds at the valet or around people who say the truck looks so nice!

OP
OP
M

mcoko15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Plug your VIN in here and type in "hinge" in the little search window.

My passenger side hinge only makes those awful sounds at the valet or around people who say the truck looks so nice!
HA. Yeah mine seems to only do it around my wife when she drives it...not really but I've lived with it for so long but she comment on it each time she drives it. :) Thanks!.....again ;-)